Setting Up Sky+ in France

thalley

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky + 3100
My Location
France
Hello,
I am about to install a Sky + digibox in France and have some questions. First of all, I am assuming that I must have at least a dual LNB for the box to function, can you confirm that this is correct? I tried to get it to work with a single LNB and got no results, the box just kept searching for channels or said no single was being received.
Also, I am at longitude 002W29 and latitude 47N17. According to the French Telesatellite website my Azimuth for Astra 2 should be 141.24 with an Elevation of 28.20. Does this sound right?
Thanks for any help you can give me. I'm sorry if my questions are redundant. I haven't had the time to read all the threads.
Best regards,
Tonja

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Welcome to the forum thalley

If you want to watch one channel and record another yes you are correct you need a twin lnb but I think you must have the box registered and be paying a subscription to be able to receive sky plus.

thalley

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky + 3100
My Location
France
Hello Topper,
Thank you for responding to my post. I've read that as long as the box is out of contract (at least a year old) it can be used to receive the free channels outside of the UK but I won't be able to use the hard drive features unless I get a subscription. My question is basically whether or not the box will function with a single LNB or not. I couldn't get it to function with one but I also bought the box used on Ebay. I'm new to this but I did use a signal detector and was receiving a signal but the box wasn't finding the channels.
Best regards,
thalley

Leee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ v2 (120Gb); DM7020Si*motorised; PC/S2-3200
My Location
47°N/8°E/490m
with no subscription you'll have no +-features and thus can get away with a single LNB.

Of course that's not future-proofing and to be honest, if you're not using it with a card then it's almost not worth having the +-box....

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If the box is not finding any channels, you are probably not pointing at Astra 28.2.

thalley

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky + 3100
My Location
France
Hello again,
I now am sure that I'm pointing to 28.2E because I am getting the Sky Freeview channels with another box. However, when I connect my Sky+ box it only searches for channels. I still have only one feed coming in - single LNB. I bought the box on the Internet and it came with a sky card but not the newer sky blue house card. Could this be the problem?
Thanks for any help you can give me on this.
Best regards,
Tonja

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If you go into the Services menu, then System Setup, then press Signal Test, what are the readings? Even though you are not using the hard drive, you still may need the second input connected, you may get away with using an IF splitter.

PS. If the card doesn't have the house on it, then it is an old card and probably not from that box, but is of no use anyway.

thalley

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky + 3100
My Location
France
Hi Rolf,
When I plugged my box back in it worked and I'm still just using a single LNB. I don't know why it wasn't picking up the signal before. Thank you so much for replying to all my posts. I really appreciate your help.
Best regards,
Tonja

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Strange, oh well the main thing is that it is now working, thanks for the update Tonja. :)

FrozenStar

Reaction score
Website
www.ayanami.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
Standard Sky Digital.

Standard Sky+ Multiroom
My Location
Manchester, England
thalley said:
Hi Rolf,
When I plugged my box back in it worked and I'm still just using a single LNB. I don't know why it wasn't picking up the signal before. Thank you so much for replying to all my posts. I really appreciate your help.
Best regards,
Tonja

I may be wrong but isn't there a primary and a secondary tuner in a sky+ box?

I thought you have to have the primary tuner connected for it to work and you only have to connect the secondary if you want to use '+' features.

Could it be that the first time you connected it to the secondary tuner and this time to the primary tuner?