Setup Dreambox help

watson

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500 -Gemini
My Location
Tunisia
My new dreambox 500 is working fine, connected through my Segam modem. However when I tried to connect it through my Belkin WiFi router which is connected to my Segam modem, I cant receive my paid channels.

Configuration on Dreambox is:
Communication setup:
IP 192.168.1.5
DHCP: unchecked
Enabled Network: checked
Port : 80

Ngrab
Server IP: 192.168.1.2
Svr Port: 4000
Srv Mac: xxxxxxxxxxxx

Configuration on Belkin router:
IP Address: 192.168.1.2
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

Segam modem:
IP: 192.168.1.1
LAN IP Address: 192.168.1.1
WAN IP Address: 196.203.XXX.XXX
Default Gateway: 213.150.XXX.X
Primary DNS Server: 213.150.XXX.XXX
Secondary DNS Server: 193.95.XX.XX

As my Segam does not have an additional port for my computers, I was advised to get a new modem with additional ports. Is that necessary.

Thanks for any suggestions
Watson

[fieldset=Admin]Wan IP, primary and secondary DNS addresses edited for your protection[/fieldset]

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
Moteck SG2100, Fracarro Penta 85 dish, LG LH3000 42" TV + some computers
My Location
NW, Ireland
For a start, you have conflicting IP addresses,
Ngrab
Server IP: 192.168.1.2
Svr Port: 4000
Srv Mac: xxxxxxxxxxxx
And
Configuration on Belkin router:
IP Address: 192.168.1.2
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Both devices have the same IP address, The Ngrab server cant be the Belkin router. Your Ngrab server settings are not really relevant here anyway.

You'll need to be a bit more specific about your setup for people to help, What exactly are you trying to do? Bridge the connections? Connect with the Belkn only?

Are you sure its a Belkn Router, maybe a bridge / Lan extender?

I've had trouble with a belkn wireless bridge before, I found that it only wanted to work with a belkn router, (Unless you were prepared to leave the network unsecured)

watson

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500 -Gemini
My Location
Tunisia
Thanks for the info. The Ngrab server was initially set with as 192.168.1.1, connected directly to the Segam modem which is also 192.168.1.1. So when I connected my Belkin router with IP 192.168.1.2 to Dreambox, I automatically thought that it should be 192.168.1.2.

Should I therefore change Ngrab back to 192.168.1.1 ?

What I am trying to do is to connect my modem to my wireless router. From my router, to connect to my Dreambox. Doing so, I can still use my wireless router for my normal internet access for my notebook. Without this, I cannot access wireless internet.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
I suggest you edit out some of your WAN IP address.

watson

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500 -Gemini
My Location
Tunisia
sorry I was not clear. I am completely new to satellite receiver. When I purchased the receiver, I was able to access some paid channels with a connection through the internet. The technician who installed for me could only connect my system through the Segam modem. Because my Segam modem has only one port, I could not access internet for my notebook. Without connecting my Dreambox through my adsl Segam modem, I cant view my paid channels.

Any suggestions on settings / configurations would be most welcome
thanks

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
My Location
NW, Ireland
I dont know about anyone else reading this, but I'm struggling to understand what you have posted so far.

What are the model names/numbers for your router and "modem"? Its going to be difficult to help unless tell us what equipment you are using.

Are you connecting the Belkn to the Sagem with a cable, then using the belkn as an access point for your computers, dreambox.....etc,

Do you need the sagem at all? If your belkn is an adsl router, you should be able to configure it to connect directly to the outside world and ditch the sagem altogether.
Should I therefore change Ngrab back to 192.168.1.1 ?
Forget about Ngrab for the time being, disable it until you get the rest of your communications working. Its only clouding the issue here.

watson

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500 -Gemini
My Location
Tunisia
Without ADSL connection to my Dreambox, I cant receive paid channels.

My ADSL modem (Segam) has only one port. Previously, this was connected to my Belkin wireless G router (by cable), which provided wireless internet. When I bought the Dreambox 500s, I tried connecting my dreambox to this Belkin router ( by cable). It was not successful and I cant see paid channels. When I connected my dreambox direct to my Segam by cable, I could see all my paid channels. However because my Segam has only one port, I cannot connect my Belkin and therefore cannot access internet from my other computers.

I hope this is clearer. Thanks very much for helping.

watson

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500 -Gemini
My Location
Tunisia
Sorry, I forgot to add that my Belkin router does not have a adsl modem, therefore the need for the Sagem modem. I am using the Belkin as an access point for my Dreambox and laptops.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Edit this in your first post to

WAN IP Address: 196.203.212.***

If your Wireless router configured as an access point then it should be transparent. Have you connected it correctly? Can your PC access the internet OK through it? Are you using a normal CAT5 cable?

You've missed off the important settings in your communication setup - please show us a screengrab. Gateway? Nameserver?

Details of doing this and setting up communication are clearly shown in the Idiot's Guide:

http://www.satellites.co.uk/satellite/739931-post46.html

http://www.satellites.co.uk/satellite/596416-post39.html

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
My Location
NW, Ireland
How many RJ-45 (Ethernet) ports does your belkn have? If its only one port thats used to connect your belkn to your sagem, then you are going to need a hub or switch,

Again, the model name/numbers would help a lot here.

You can buy a small cheapo 4 port hub for next to nothing from Ebay.

You've missed off the important settings in your communication setup - please show us a screengrab. Gateway? Nameserver?
Yes please!

You mention in your first post that DHCP is disabled, I suggest you temporarily enable it to see if you can get good settings automagically. (Im not sure if that requires a reboot).

watson

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500 -Gemini
My Location
Tunisia
Sorry for taking so long to reply. My internet ADSL modem is Segam (with only one port). It is connected to my Belkin wireless G router, with 4 ports. My dreambox is connected to this Belkin. With this configuration, I cannot get paid channels, only FTA channels. If I bypass the Belkin router and connect my dreambox direct to my Segam modem, I can see all channels, incl paid channels. But with this, I cannot access the internet. One option is to buy a switch, which I am trying to resist.

My dreambox config is:
Communication setup:
IP 192.168.1.5
Nameserver: 192.168.1.1
Gateway: 192.168.1.1
DHCP: UNchecked

I have tried various IP for my Nameserver as suggested, ie
Nameserver = my ISP's DNS server IP address (203.150.176.xxx)
Gateway = 192.168.1.2

but unsuccessful. Attached are my screen shots of my adsl modem and router.

Thanks to all you kind soul.

watson

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500 -Gemini
My Location
Tunisia
Sorry for taking so long to reply. My internet ADSL modem is Segam (with only one port). It is connected to my Belkin wireless G router, with 4 ports. My dreambox is connected to this Belkin. With this configuration, I cannot get paid channels, only FTA channels. If I bypass the Belkin router and connect my dreambox direct to my Segam modem, I can see all channels, incl paid channels. But with this, I cannot access the internet. One option is to buy a switch, which I am trying to resist.

My dreambox config is:
Communication setup:
IP 192.168.1.5
Nameserver: 192.168.1.1
Gateway: 192.168.1.1
DHCP: UNchecked

I have tried various IP for my Nameserver as suggested, ie
Nameserver = my ISP's DNS server IP address (203.xxx.xxx.xxx)
Gateway = 192.168.1.2

but unsuccessful.

Attachments

• belkin router.JPG
    belkin router.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 85
  • Segam modem.JPG
    Segam modem.JPG
    14 KB · Views: 82

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Delete the image with your DNS and WAN IP address or mask the last set of octals with ***.

Given your settings:

gateway: 192.168.1.1
nameserver: 213.xxx.xxx.***

Are you using a normal CAT5 cable or crossover (Dreambox to wifi router)?

Do you have a PC/ laptop connected to the wifi router?

Can you ping the Dreambox? I asked some of these questions in post #9

Are you sure it's setup as an Access Point? Do you need to specifically allow IP addresses to use it?

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
My Location
NW, Ireland
Have you tried turning on DHCP on the dreambox?

and / or

Unplug the ethernet cable from the Dreambox and plug it into one of your laptops, can you connect in this way with your laptop (making sure its not already connected via wireless)?

There are two reasons for asking this.
1: To determine if you can get a connection at all.
2: If you are getting a connection in this way, then there may be some ports blocked on the Belkn that are needed for CS.

We cant help unless some of the questions in previous posts are answered.

I have found belkn products to be poor, and their documentation is terrible.

PS: I noticed that you have disabled wireless security. Doing this means that anyone within range of your network can connect and use your Connection to do whatever they like, and If its illegal, you find yourself in a lot of trouble.

watson

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500 -Gemini
My Location
Tunisia
Thank you all so much for your help and suggestions. when I tried to change my IP for my router so that it matches my modem, I get an IP conflict, even though the modem was 192.168.1.1 and the routher was set to 192.168.1.2. As was suggested by Mhku, I changed my setting to Access point, and left the IP of my router as 192.168.2.1. This automatically changed the IP setting to 192.168.2.254 and I was able to view my paid channels and also use my wireless router.

Thank you all once again for your expertise and patience.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Good to hear that you got there in the end :)

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
My Location
NW, Ireland

watson

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500 -Gemini
My Location
Tunisia
I have 2 more questions.

1. How do I edit my postings here so that I can remove the sensitive data?
2. The EPG that is on my dreambox is in some other language, but not in English. (I am in north Africa). Is there a plugin or something from my dreambox that will enable it to download the English version.

Thanks once again.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Click the EDIT button. To remove or upload a different attachment, click the MANAGE ATTACHMENTS button (in advanced mode).

There are a few posts on EPG (search should find them) but the language tends to be what the broadcaster chooses.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I have removed what I see as sensitive data, members can only edit a poist for 24hrs, so did it for you.