SG2100A & dish weight

Reaction score
Hello

I've just taken delivery of a SG2100A diseqc motor. Currently working on getting the mounting pole vertical.

The manual for the motor says max dish size is 1.2m. My dish is only 80cm but is about 9 yrs old and weighs 7 or 8 kilos (incl mounting bracket). I'd have thought that this would put a bit of a strain on a diseqc motor. Can anyone offer a view on this - are modern dishes any lighter?

It'd be a shame to knacker the motor by hanging an over heavy dish on it.

Thanks

damhy

Reaction score
My Location
Kent
I have the SG2100A myself, and it is a nice little motor, I imagine that the 85cm dish i have weighs less than 9 kgs, though it is still reasonably weighty.

I think the main reason for the dish size issue is that of the power of the wind on the face of the dish. I doubt I could hold a solid 1.2m dish myself in strong onward facing winds so the plastic cogs in the motor are really gonna enjoy the strain.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Yeah, I think that's about right. Although your dish may be heavy (...and boy is that heavy...), there is relatively little leverage on the motor output shaft under normal (gravitational) loading conditions, so I wouldn't worry about it.

glarus

Reaction score
westernapproach said:
Hello

I've just taken delivery of a SG2100A diseqc motor. Currently working on getting the mounting pole vertical.

The manual for the motor says max dish size is 1.2m. My dish is only 80cm but is about 9 yrs old and weighs 7 or 8 kilos (incl mounting bracket). I'd have thought that this would put a bit of a strain on a diseqc motor. Can anyone offer a view on this - are modern dishes any lighter?

It'd be a shame to knacker the motor by hanging an over heavy dish on it.

Thanks
I wrote to moteck regarding this issue:
I have ChannelMaster fiberglass 1.2m (model 1.2m-1) dish but I am affraid it might be too heavy. Up to what weight can be the dish mounted with this motor?
and they answer:
With reference to you Email, the weigh of the dish is 18.00 kgs.

Best Regards,
Rita Yu