Share one cable modem between two PCs?

pentrell

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Is it possible to share one Broadband cable modem between two
PCs?
I'm not talking about networking. With the modem drivers installed on each PC, can I then connect a usb cable to each PC and run them to a usb hub with another usb connection to the back of the external cable modem and have the internet working on both PCs at the same time?
Would that work?
I've got an AMD Athlon 1600Mhz PC and a Dell Optiplex GX1
450Mhz PC.
My Broadband internet connection I've just upgraded to 1Megabit
Can anyone let me know if this would work without networking the two PCs together?:p

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Not 100% sure Pentrell, but I don't think its possible in that configuration. To network two PCs together is very easy, all you need is a crossover cable and two £10 ethernet cards, then depending on which OS you are using, set up internet connection sharing.

The other way and probably better is to get a router, then you simply plug the cable modem into the router and connect the PCs via ethernet, this also means that the main PC doesn't need to be switched on for the other to access the internet.

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
Rolf's solution looks good. I have a 1Mb cable connection on Telewest via a Motorola Surfboard 4100 modem and a USB connection to a single PC is possible plus up to 31 users on ethernet. Last time I asked, though, Telewest (Blueyonder) were not supporting the USB connection.

Jimbo

moz1uk

Reaction score
My Location
Coventry
I think the way to do it is to buy a Broadband router (I have seen these for sale at www.ebay.co.uk in the computer section for about £40.00) then you need a PCI Ethernet card in each computer these are about £5.00 each.Connect your modem to the router, then you need a Ethernet cable from eacn Ethernet card to the router.
You can then install the drivers on each PC.If you have windows xp pro installed on each PC the job is alot easier.
I am in the process Of doing it myself but with 2 PC,s and a laptop at the moment I have got them networked and they could all go on the internet at the same time, the only drawback is the computer thats connected directlly to the modem has to be switched on all the time, that why I want to change to the router option.
I hope I have been of some help to you.
Moz1uk<--

pentrell

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Yes I WILL try networkink using a router and 2 ethernet cards when I get round to going out and buying them - thanks again
from pentrell and good luck with your own networking as well.:)

theblob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Hp Pavilion media center dual core pc dreambox dm70025+
My Location
Leicester/UK
hi i have also got a motorola surfboard 4100 but on ntls 1mb service.
i have 2 computers that i would like to enable to connect to the net at the same time 1 is desktop with ethernet card installed and connected to modem s ethernet port the second comp is a laptop connected via usb to the modem.
I can access the net on both machines but not at the same time and also i have to reset the modem by removing power and reconnecting when i want to switch computers.
I read on motorolas website that this configuration is posible but you will have to contact your cable supplier to enable the modem for multi user configuration.
Well sent three emails to ntl and guess what no reply.
I would buy a network card for my laptop but ive had them before and the break really easy the connector for the cable is so delicate.
I have thought about the wireless network option but it seems very expensive.
If anyone has any ideas as to what i could do i would be very thankfull for your advice.

:D

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You can buy a PCMCIA network card for your laptop which has a standard RJ45 connector, this is much less delicate than the dongle type. You can probably get one on the DABS site.

Rolf

theblob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Leicester/UK
Thanks m8 didn't know they existed will try and source one:-beer

s*t*a*r*m*a*n

Reaction score
My Location
scotland
As far as i am aware Cable Telewest (perhaps others) do not allow 2 pcs to connect to the one cable connection according to there engineers.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
They may not want it and they don't support it s*t*a*r*m*a*n, but there's bugger all they can do about it. I have several friends who are using cable broadband for small networks. once its installed you can change anything you want.

PS. Happy new year mate. :D

drag0nfly_69uk

Reaction score
My Location
essex boy
my setup at home: telewest cable modem connected to a router/printer sharer from SMC, i gave telewest the NIC address of the router so it can be enable on telewest server, i could then connect as many pc's to the router as i like, sharing 512k connection between 3 pcs and a laptop. technically i can share up 253 pcs at once. (internet cafe anyone??)

s*t*a*r*m*a*n

Reaction score
My Location
scotland
i assume then Dragonfly_69uk that you are only distributing the 512k over each pc in equal bandwith. I cannot see why this would be a problem anyway weather it is 1 pc or 200 pcs as you are still using the same allocated bandwidth that you paid for anyway.

hi rolfw happy new year :D

theblob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Leicester/UK
Hi all.
Got it sussed, heres howif your interested.
i Got the network card rolfw suggested (thanks m8) popped it into laptop didn't even need to install drivers win xp configured it itself (cool) also got a network hub.
Desktop pc had install already 1 network card, i popped in another 1 and coonected 1 to the hub and the other to the modem, and also the laptop to the modem.
Then i had to gonfigure xp on the desktop to allow internet connection sharing and the network wizard as this computer connects directly to the internet and other computers on my network connect to the internet throught this computer.
Then came the laptop, configured as this computer connects to the internet through another computer on my network.
Took me a while to work out the ip address side of things but got there in the end.
Now me and the girlfriend are surfing indepenantly as i write this message.
Only 1 problem i have to have the desktop on to access the net from the laptop, but thats a small price to pay
:D
Thanks to all who offered me help and advice;)