Status
Not open for further replies.

funkeryan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Don't currently have a setup, looking for advice
My Location
England UK
First of all id just like to say hi to everyone who contributes to this very informative forum.

I am thinking of buying a DM 500-S and have spent hours reading about images, cams and keys and so on, and i kind of understand what i'll be getting myself into.

My Question is...

I live in an apartment of around 20 properties, all the apartments including mine have coaxial satellite ports in the living room, which i assume link to the large "Fixed" satellite dish i spotted on the roof top. I know for sure that the prior tenant had S*y+ set up before he left and i moved in.

I obviously cant tamper with the dish on the roof so it will be constantly fixed on (am i right in thinking.......) Astra 28.2 degrees East.

Will this cause me any problems???

And is it worth getting a dreambox knowing i have my fixed dish geared towards s*y subscribers???

Also will i be able to pick up a wide range of quality channels?

Your Help will greatly appreciated
Thank You;)

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Its pointless getting a dreambox just for use on 28E.
The cams and keys will do you no good whatsoever on that satellite. The _SKY encryption system is secure, and the only programs you can watch are the FTA ones and the _SKY ones with a valid subscription and a proper _Sky box. Whether they are quality or not, I don't know.

You can watch _sky on a dreambox as well with the right software, but you still need a valid subscription from _Sky

I don't know if it's worth speaking to your landord or whatever they call it to get another dish installed to pick up say Hotbird or Astra1. Or maybe you could point a dish through one of your windows or on a baclony.

bote

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
NDS in DM-500S
My Location
Romania
Interesting answer... What about the sharing card. Of course he needs a card in the DM... Any one, but still valid...

billnot

Growing Old Disgracefully
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Famaval 3,1, IP9000HD plus other FTA and Linux boxes - Astra 1&2, Hotbird, Hispasat
My Location
Benitachell, Alicante, Spain
I disagree with Robbo. I use a Sky card in my DM7025 - CCcam reads the card perfectly and gives you more information, plus it will do things that a Sky box won't, both legitimate (stream to a PC) as well as things we mustn't talk about here. A Dreambox is far more flexible than a Sky Digibox.

If it's a new Sky card, it will need to be married by being paired to a Digibox first, but after that it can be kept in the Dreambox permanently

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
billnot said:
I disagree with Robbo. I use a Sky card in my DM7025 - CCcam reads the card perfectly and gives you more information, plus it will do things that a Sky box won't, both legitimate (stream to a PC) as well as things we mustn't talk about here. A Dreambox is far more flexible than a Sky Digibox.

If it's a new Sky card, it will need to be married by being paired to a Digibox first, but after that it can be kept in the Dreambox permanently

Hi billnot,

I bow to you since you have one.
Do you use it on other sats as well?
How long will it last though, for _sky?

billnot

Growing Old Disgracefully
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Famaval 3,1, IP9000HD plus other FTA and Linux boxes - Astra 1&2, Hotbird, Hispasat
My Location
Benitachell, Alicante, Spain
I use my DM7025 purely for Sky. Both tuners have an input from 28,2º so that I can use it just like a Sky+

I also have a Mutant 200S. This is the box I use for my other inputs - Astra1, Hotbird and Hispasat. This spends 90% of its time on Hispasat.

Once you've finished playing to see what you can get, you settle down with what you actually want to watch, which for me is unsurprisingly British and Spanish TV.

Since Sky are still getting their money, and given that the percentage of Sky cards used in this way is very low, I can't see stopping it being on Sky's main list of priorities.

clive888

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dreambox DM500-s 19.2e, 28.e, 7w, 13e, multi dish system
My Location
Turkey English
Robbo said:
Its pointless getting a dreambox just for use on 28E.
The cams and keys will do you no good whatsoever on that satellite. The _SKY encryption system is secure, and the only programs you can watch are the FTA ones and the _SKY ones with a valid subscription and a proper _Sky box. Whether they are quality or not, I don't know.

You can watch _sky on a dreambox as well with the right software, but you still need a valid subscription from _Sky

I don't know if it's worth speaking to your landord or whatever they call it to get another dish installed to pick up say Hotbird or Astra1. Or maybe you could point a dish through one of your windows or on a baclony.

All things are possible.
I am a retired IT professional living overseas in southern Europe.
I have a setup using a dreambox DM 500-s for 28E, 19.2E etc. (4 dishes in all) plus sharing 19.2E (large dish). I do not have a Sky card.

Together with many tens of thousands of other expats with homes overseas, we each subscribe (approx 15 Euros per month) to a local service company who then provides an access link to an internet server connection. These servers do have a current Sky card. This allow multiple dreambox users access to all of the Sky card services in the normal way.
In addition the dreambox allows access to any other dish feeds in the normal way.

Long live the Dreambox
PS We will now buy an HD Dreambox

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Yes well thanks for the post, you were of course replying to a three year old thread but well there is nothing like spelling it out for others, I do however have to disagree and suggest that all things are not always possible

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
clive888 said:
All things are possible.
I have a setup using a dreambox DM 500-s for 28E, 19.2E etc. (4 dishes in all) plus sharing 19.2E (large dish). I do not have a Sky card.

Together with many tens of thousands of other expats with homes overseas, we each subscribe (approx 15 Euros per month) to a local service company who then provides an access link to an internet server connection. These servers do have a current Sky card. This allow multiple dreambox users access to all of the Sky card services in the normal way.
In addition the dreambox allows access to any other dish feeds in the normal way.

Long live the Dreambox

So that's a Pay Server?

Not sure Admin will take too kindly to that particular Topic being aired here.

You are, of course, at the mercy of person or persons unknown for the continuation of your service.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Thread closed. It's an old thread that has served its purpose, but more importantly discussion of pay servers is out of bounds.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
clive888 said:
All things are possible.

Long live the Dreambox

May I respectfully remind you that all discussions whatsoever of any aspect of use of pay servers for linux boxes of any kind is strictly and absolutely forbidden on this forum.

And anyway when Sky implement the new anti c/s procedures that we know are coming you and many other folks are going to get a nasty shock :D

Status
Not open for further replies.