should i be able to recieve astras on 28E?

lejizz

Reaction score
Should I be able to recieve the Astra's on 28 E? i can get most satellites, with my 1.2 m offset dish, but cannot get anything from this sat. I am in NW England.

I thought that i had read somthing about the odd frerquencies before i bought my tn5500 but cannot find it anywhere. I thought that it said that only a few TP's were available.

If there are any chanels/TP's available to view on 28E what are they, or can i simply not get the sat?

The dish is aligned ok, as i can get around that particular area:
Astra's 19E
Seasat 36E
Hellas 39E
Turk/Eurasia 42E

Cheers

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Um... April Fool anybody?

lejizz

Reaction score
Did i9 say somthing funny???

Serious.. i cannot recieve 28e should i be able to??

s*t*a*r*m*a*n

Reaction score
My Location
scotland
of course you should be able to receive it. thats the one everyone in Britain can receive with a small dish for sky. Have you checked your frequencies? try http://www.lyngsat.com for transponder data. If you were on a motorised system on the satellite arc i would be inclined to say that your dish is slightly off as that is a primary reason you would not be receiving certain satellites but no reason whatsoever that you should not be picking up this satellite from your location. im in scotland on a 90 cm dish and i can pick up everything fromtelstar 12 at 15 west to 48east though i tend to lose the signal after about 36 east. The transponder signal on astra at 28 east is quite strong,

lejizz

Reaction score
I was just about to report that i could'nt get the satellite, having spent a few hours in the back garden ( fortunatly, the dish is a floor standing one) and just about to give up, having reset the dish to 1W to get the best overall setup. Doing this has improved a few of the weaker signals

I went to 28E set the reciever to 10773 H 22000 5/6 for the free BBC channels and got nothing just a signal 76 quality 10, which wont show anything. The dish was pushed, pulled and even kicked at one time... I gave up, but ran a quick search which to my complete and utter amazement reveiled 5 channels on 12382H 27500 2/3 which is an
Unnamed music?
Unnamed (community) clear
Kiss
The Box
Sky Welcome
The best signal that I can get on these is 8 and 2 blocks for the quality, so the pic breaks up. Prob is, there is a neighbours tree 2 doors away that must be blocking this sat off (Did'nt think it was in the line of sight). There are a few others with mini dishes near with no probs, but it must be right in the line of sight ...and the leaves are not out yet, so NO 28E for me :(

Thing that bugs me is that I can recieve 23E and hellas at 36e,which has only 70/10 on the setup, but comes thru as a signal 8 quality 4 where 28E is 76/10 and signal 8 Quality 2, but the one that I really want is a no go, although when the analog test used to be on, I could recieve in no probs, but thats the difference between a weak analog and a weak digital signal

Oh well!

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
lejizz

I'm sorry if I offended you in any way. It was just the combination of the day that you posted and the fact that, as STARMAN says, just about everybody in Britain can get this satellite - most with just a 43cm minidish.

Are you sure that there isn't something like a tree or other obstruction just in the wrong place?

PaulR

lejizz

Reaction score
Hehehe.. no offence taken

As I have posted above, there is a tree that was no real prob with analog test card when I used to scan around, but that was prob a year or two back. I managed to get a few channels, but only 1 clear (community), and will be totaly unwatchable in a few weeks time. I did'nt think that the tree was in direct line, but it now appears to be.

"just about everybody in Britain can get this satellite - most with just a 43cm minidish."

I know... thats why I was tearing my hair out.

I wonder if this neigbour's tree might get some horrible disese? ...I would'nt be surprised if someone push some brush wood clearer on it...Tch... tch nasty people hehehe

s*t*a*r*m*a*n

Reaction score
My Location
scotland
Ive noticed i can get Astra 28east at 28.5east and 28.2east with a slightchange in status on my sat programmer from 088 readout to 090 so the dish is moved ever so slightly east and maybe that would help? just boost the signal slightly but enough to pick up more channels? its a long shot but probably worth trying. Whats so great anyway about 28 east? apart from the freeview stuff all the good stuff is encrypted. Perhaps you would like to share :D hotbird is much better. I seen the french version of pop idol the other night, funny they were singing in english and one of the judges in the panel was crying because the guy was soooo good singing u2s "one", personally i think he was just another in a long line of boring people who are seeking fame instead of being good musicians :D but anyway thats just my opinion.

lejizz

Reaction score
s*t*a*r*m*a*n said:
. Whats so great anyway about 28 east?

Because it's there ;)
It's was just the thought that everyone except me could get it, anyway iIsuppose that a lot of the channels are also on 19 E?

I can get about 22 sats, from 42 E down to 37w, and prob wont watch them all anyways, so it is no real loss... in fact, if there were any chance of getting something worth while, I could prob get a new jack and get a few more sats west. as 37W is at my limit unless, I lose 42 E and 39E, but there does'nt seem much on Panam except feeds, and last time I checked, all I could get was a dodgy C-Span feed on my ol analog.

Just need to work out where to find files to revert the MR cam to 1.060 and see if it is more stable than my 1.070, which initialized every 20 mins or so and often locks up.

Cheers m8 :-beer

s*t*a*r*m*a*n

Reaction score
My Location
scotland
hi lejizz :) I quite like the cnbc feed from america on telstar 12 west, a feed for london broadcasters i think but i can not seem to find it at the moment. its closest you can get to a live american tv channel as all the sats are over the horizon. I havent had a good feed since 9/11 and the fuel strike, picked up a strange one once with someone editing a tape that was of israel where young palestinians where throwing stones at the army and being fired back at with rubber bullets. lejizz do you get the landscape channel? i think i just missed that one by a few degrees west, used to be about 18 or 20 west i think.

lejizz

Reaction score
I actually have some tapes of feeds, and have even the desert storm feeds somewhere. I remember when the reporters were all nervous about gas attacks over there and wore gas masks on a regular basis. One time a reported was practicing for his live link, when he suddenly rushed off cam ,knocked a few to the floor in the process, only to be told that it was the exaust smell off a passing vehicle.. he was sooo embaraced.

s*t*a*r*m*a*n

Reaction score
My Location
scotland
Cant say i blame him :) for rushing off that is. Whats the best sat for feeds do you think? have you managed to get any good bbc uk feeds? i see live reports from reporters on the tv all the time but can never find the feed. I would really like to see it as a direct feed off the sat.

jacko

Reaction score
hi lejiz,
livng in tenerife and picking up most channels on 28east
except for bbc channels.good quality signal on the rest .can¨t tell
you anything else as i don¨t normally watch this sat.

lejizz

Reaction score
Guess what?
I told the guy about the tree, and he said he was thinking of taking it down, and i thought "yea yea..i smell BS"

I came home tonight and lo and behold.. I see clear sky!

I have just done a channel scan and now have 486 glorious tv channels and 186 radio stations :)
I'm hoping to get a few more sats as well if possible all i got was a ropey Hellas at 39deg E and a test card on Astra 1D at 23 deg E. I will check to see if i can get any other sats in between now.

I owe my neighbour a pint :)