Shuttle launch

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Shuttle Docking to ISS
10E
10970MHz
4167ksps
Ver
5/6

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Also on Sky News Active now :D Cheers mate. FANTASTIC.

We REALLY need a proper space channel on Sky to take this sort of feed.

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Can't believe it - Bl**dy transponder has droppped out !

L.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Perhaps one of the W1 hamsters died...

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Few bits of tile probably in the way of the beam, itll clear in an hour or so

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
the shuttle was originally supposed to be entirely liquid fueled, which would at least have prevented the Challenger Disaster. The solid boosters came along only after budget cuts imposed by Congress.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Those srb's must be the biggest fireworks ever made. I think Im right in saying once they are lit the shuttle HAS to launch or it will tear itself to pieces on the pad - (no way to turn them off....) They just clamp it down long enough for thrust to build up.

Must be an awesome sight when one launches - Ive always wanted to see an Araiane 5 go up.

sat novice

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5500 Super,SG2100,Raven 90 cm,42east to 30west,36" of CRT,Freeview from Crystal Palace,6.1 surround,Custom PC,Wireless network.
My Location
Birth Place of Radio
shuttle and i.s.s eva now live on:-

Eutel W1
V
5/6 fec

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
BBC news just showed a clip of the astronauts on their first space walk.

They are going to use some kind of putty to repair any damaged tiles.

Which reminds me of the joke about the woman who couldn't tell the difference between Vaseline and putty...

PaulR

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
I can't get any non uk channels, but Sky and BBC news multiscreens (satellite) have been fairly good.

New tiles are now sticking to shuttle ok, after the spacewalk, but the ones on my bathroom wall sometimes drop off. Is the difference just weightlessness, or do NASA use a better adhesive ("rocket fix 'n grout")?

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Midlands
Now they've repaired both space station and shuttle (if you have a house and car, there's always something needs doing).

Perhaps they could also look at the garden shed (Hubble), but that's on an allotment the other side of town.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
spiney said:
Now they've repaired both space station and shuttle (if you have a house and car, there's always something needs doing).

Perhaps they could also look at the garden shed (Hubble), but that's on an allotment the other side of town.

I think at this moment of time they are trying to get all the tools back in the shed before it starts raining...The way it looks they must be worriying that they will have the same sort of landing as the last one...

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Midlands
I think they're ok, so long as it's not the critical hardened wing bits, a few tiles can even be missing!

I don't think there's much alternative to the tiles, only an ablative coating, which would need renewing each time!

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
spiney said:
New tiles are now sticking to shuttle ok, after the spacewalk, but the ones on my bathroom wall sometimes drop off. Is the difference just weightlessness, or do NASA use a better adhesive ("rocket fix 'n grout")?

I'd hedge my bet on better decorators :cool:

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
What I can't understand, why do bits fall off when taking off? I can understand shit happening when entering the atmosphere, but starting??

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
T_G said:
What I can't understand, why do bits fall off when taking off? I can understand shit happening when entering the atmosphere, but starting??

Well I am no rocket scientist but as I understand things:- The faster the shuttle/tank goes the more it heats up and hence the more it expands. In much the same way that Concorde was 2 foot longer flying at a speed of mach2. The coefficient of expansion of steel is going to be a lot greater than insulating foam. Hence cracks in the foam and bits falling off, which do not in themselves pose a problem for the tank as that is always repaired before being reused, just if one of the falling bits hits the shuttle underbody.
I honestly think the shuttle has got minimal life left but there is not a lot on the drawing board to replace it.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
But why is is that years and years this perticular problem did not show?? Is it because of ageing?

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
I do not know perhaps the reusable tanks and the shuttle airframe are no longer as stiff as they were and are flexing during launch accentuating the problem. Maybe the foam they are using is different. Lots of things change in 25 or so years perhaps they were just lucky but for sure I do think they are pushing their luck now.

Spiney ablative coating ????

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Shuttle repairs live now !

L.