Signal issue or something else.

sep990

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM600
My Location
UK
Hi

A friend is having signal issue, he changed the lnb but the issue remains.

Any pointers on what else to check?

The dish is a normal sky disk, the cable is running from the dish into the attic and down to under his stairs where is it plugged in to a distribution box.

The signal on bbc1 is shown a 54% but the BER keeps changing and going very high.

We have tried another box but had the same issue. Did not get a chance to connect the box straight to the dish.

Thank you for your help.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Pick a problem:

Damage to the cable, vegetation overlapping the dish, water in the cable due to poorly weatherproofed connections, lnb failing, tuner failing in the receiver, poor contact on the connections at either end due to the cold weather, local interference badly aligned dish after its been whacked by a football.....

sep990

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM600
My Location
UK
Thanks, the cable and dish looks okay. Tried a new lnb and another box as well. So issue looks like connection. I think it may be the distribution box under the stairs but no way to test it as I do not have any knowledge on this.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
If another box is showing the same problems then look at an alignment issue. Bolts can rattle loose or mounts rust through and make the dish droop or gales can shift the dish laterally. You only need a tiny movement to affect reception.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
If you can reach the dish safely then give it a gentle push each side & top & bottom whilst someone watches the signal meters. If its moved then one direction will give better signals.

These are the problems that need eliminating one at a time - you have already made a start with the lnb & second receiver.

You can isolate a distro box fault if you bypass it.

sep990

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM600
My Location
UK
Thanks, we did try moving the dish a bit yesterday but the signal did not change. Did not want to mess about with the distribution box. He is going to see if he can get someone in.

Thank you for the suggestion just wanted to make sure I did not miss anything.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Good luck - let us know how you get on.

sep990

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM600
My Location
UK
Will do. Thank you.

sep990

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM600
My Location
UK
Mate just called to say all working. Not has been done it has just started working on it own.[emoji15]

May be water or condensation issues?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Probably a less than tight connection that becomes worse due to thermal expansion/contraction. A quick tweak with an 11mm spanner on the flats of the LNB F connectors should do it.

Another couple of sub-zero nights will confirm the theory!

Last edited:

sep990

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM600
My Location
UK
Thanks, will keep that in mind.

sep990

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM600
My Location
UK
Sorry me again. Every thing worked fine until 2 days ago and same issue.

The guy who fitted the dish came round and tested the dish and lnb.

He said they were fine but his signal has been cut off by sly as he does not have a contract with them.

The guy who came round works for sly as well. How true is this?

Thanks

smoggy07

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky minidish and Sky + HD 250gig Anytime+ box with full ish appart from sports and movies, Dreambox DM500s clone (Pli Jade3 max var F/W), Motorised 1.1Meter Dish
My Location
middlesbrough, teesside, northeast coast, uk
Sorry me again. Every thing worked fine until 2 days ago and same issue.

The guy who fitted the dish came round and tested the dish and lnb.

He said they were fine but his signal has been cut off by sly as he does not have a contract with them.

The guy who came round works for sly as well. How true is this?

Thanks
It's a load of tosh, the BBC channels are free to air and will work even without a Sky card in the box, I think the installer is telling porkies and couldn't be chewed with the job

sep990

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM600
My Location
UK
Thanks, thats what I thought.

smoggy07

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky minidish and Sky + HD 250gig Anytime+ box with full ish appart from sports and movies, Dreambox DM500s clone (Pli Jade3 max var F/W), Motorised 1.1Meter Dish
My Location
If the problem is coming and going it could be thermal expansion/contraction (as Tivu mentioned above) or something is failing

Can you get anymore info on the distribution box under the stairs? (even better a few photos of it too), if it has an external plug in the wall power supply I'd try swapping it out for one of equal voltage and equal or higher amps and see if that makes a difference

sep990

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM600
My Location
UK
Thanks, it a mates house and I dont really want to mess about. He is going to try and get some one to look at it. If no joy will try and connect my Dm straight to the dish and see.

Thank you for the help and suggestions.

smoggy07

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Thanks, it a mates house and I dont really want to mess about. He is going to try and get some one to look at it. If no joy will try and connect my Dm straight to the dish and see.

Thank you for the help and suggestions.

If it was me I'd connect your DM to the dish before getting anyone in and if it works you know it could be the distro box, at least then you'll know if your friend needs to get a man (or woman) in to sort the job out or if it could be done on the cheap by ordering a replacement and swapping it out yourself

sep990

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM600
My Location
UK
Have suggested it to him. He is going to see if he can find a portable tv to test.

Thanks

sep990

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM600
My Location
UK
Update.

Another sly eng came round and checked the lnb and dish and confirmed all working well near the dish.

We tried plugging the various cables under his staircase in the dm but no joy as we could not work out which feed was for sly.

He is waiting for the guy who wired his house to come round and confirm which is the cable from the dish.

Will update if when we get any further.

Thanks

sep990

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM600
My Location
UK
Update 2.

All sorted the guy who did all the wiring for him when he refurbished the house came round and swapped one of the connection under the stairs.

In had tried these directly connected to the dm but could not get any signal. I must have been doing something wrong. :(

Thank you all for the help and suggestions.