Signal jumps from Zero to Hero on Hotbird and Arabsat

hmadfai

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Strong 4820 II, 1.1 motorised, Sky, Dragon, Matrix Rel. and Joker CAMs.
My Location
Cardiff
Hi all,

Ok, so the system was fine last night. Back from work today and my setup is not functioning properly. Cannot blame the wife as she was at work all day!

Some channels on Hotbird, such as Diyar Arabesque, the signal fluctuates from [No Signal] to around 80% (the norm), then back to near zero then back to full ... resulting in serious breaks of picture and sound. The same seems to happen on Arabsat 3A on channels such as MBC. Here, I've had a good few minutes with no signal then back again.

As it is not particularly windy today, there is no reason to suspect that the dish is moving. I checked the cabling, attempted a FTA upgrade of the s/w and switched the receiver off and on by disconnecting from mains - all to no joy.

My 1.1m motorized Triax is driven by Echostart DSB 890 2CI and a 0.3 Blue Line MTI LNB.

Would appreciate any help with this problem!

Thanks,

H

AForester

01LD1E
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
a variety of lnb's (5), dishes (2), diseqc motors (3) and receivers (4).
My Location
East of Cambridge (GB).
Not sure where you are located. If in the uk did you have any snow/sleet/ice/rain overnight? I had a similar problem to you many years ago, wet/damp had got behind the self amalg tape at the LNB connection and was causing the problem. I now seal all my connections ie at the LNB and motor with silicon rubber compound.

Cheers AF

hmadfai

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cardiff
Hi AForester,

Thank you for your kind reply. I am in Cardiff. The past two nights were extremely wet and cold with a bit of snow fall. There is a big chance that what you have described is causing my problem.

Being a newbie to all this, however, I fail to see how this would affect some channels some of the time and not all channels all of the time. Any ideas?

Cheers,

H

AForester

01LD1E
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
a variety of lnb's (5), dishes (2), diseqc motors (3) and receivers (4).
My Location
East of Cambridge (GB).
Sorry, no idea, I just let you know what happened with my set up a few years ago that had similar faults and what the problem turned out to be.

BTW, correct me if I am wrong, but channel 2 & MBC are moving to Arabsat 2D. At present half of the picture is blanked off with details of the frequency etc that it will be on.

damhy

Reaction score
My Location
Kent
I have been getting some weird problems on Arabsat as well at the moment, I was watching NBN the otherday then the signal went from 35% to nothing for a while then back up to 35%.

If it is only happening with the Arabian channels it could be that their uplink centre has a problem (since i get the same issue on Arabsat), if however you experience the problems on all your channels then I guess it is much more likely to be down to your setup.

hmadfai

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cardiff
* AForester,

Indeed - half the screen is blocked with this banner. I've heard two rumors about this. The first is that the MBC and MBC2 channels will be replaced by MBC 1 and 2 USA in due course - something to do with the language used in news coverage etc. The second is that the two channels will stop broadcasting FTA to Europe altogether, and will be exclusive on the ART network. Cannot but wait and see.

*damhy

Thanks for the reply, m8. This is exactly the problem on my system. For some reason it’s back to normal now. My kind local installers agreed to come over sometime soon to double check the connections etc. Are you still having problems with yours?

H

damhy

Reaction score
My Location
Kent
hmadfai said:
Are you still having problems with yours?

I havent noticed, it but I have been very busy lately and so havent been watching too much TV, but if yours is working then I can assume mine probably is as well.