Signal levels

Neil Paxton

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm fixed dish, dual LNB's, Echostar 616
My Location
Essex, UK
After struggling all day Sunday with my dual LNB set up, I can now receive Astra ! Hooray!! :cool:
The only thing now, is that I am not receiving all the channels I want. I have BBC1 and BBC2 but on BBC3 and BBC4 it is telling me "Service Not Available" also I believe that all the ITV channels are now available FTA but I don't even have them in the channel listing. I have played about with different transponders and the best reception I can get is Quality 78% and Strength 58%. This doesn't seem like much to me, is that where my problem lies? An engineer set up the LNB for me so I assume it is correct. The dish is at the back of my East facing house, below ridge height. Hotbird is perfect on all channels. Could the roof be attenuating the signal? Do I need to get the dish up higher? There is about 2 feet of pole above the dish so that wouldn't be a problem.
Thanks for any help.:)

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
The 'service not available' will appear before 19:00 GMT because the chanels don't start transmision until then. They transmit CBBC and Beebies up till that time.

ITV channels are on.....

10714 H
10759 V
10832 H
10891 H
10906 V all 22000.

L.:)

Neil Paxton

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm fixed dish, dual LNB's, Echostar 616
My Location
Essex, UK
Lancelot said:
The 'service not available' will appear before 19:00 GMT because the chanels don't start transmision until then.

Ah...................... that would explain it :-Guill

What about the signal strength though, it seems very low to me.
Excuse the basic questions, I am a total newcomer to this digital lark.

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
The signal level although low on the face of it, is relative really with nothing to compare it against (what are you getting on 13E ?).
There are no weak transponders on 28E in the UK so you will not be missing anything, but only bad weather will tell really if you are going to get any rain fade.

L.:)