Advice Needed Signal lost

Clerik90

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Freesat + Sky
My Location
Uk
Hi all, need a little help please.

Last night my Sky box stopped recieving a satellite signal, i checked both the cables and usual stuff, however my freesat on the TV is working fine, im not under the 12 month warranty with sky anymore , prob just about 3 weeks over and cannot afford £65 call out charge, I know I could try the feed from tv freesat but I'm just recovering from an operation and don't fancy lifting plasma of the wall alone.
This started last night when the temp dropped below freezing if this could of affected something ?

Thx for any advice in advance

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
When you go into the signal menu on the Sky box, does it show any signal at all? Is it a single tuner Sky digibox, or Sky+/HD?

I have had service calls previously where the original installer when fitting the F connectors, had cut the copper core too short, so was only making intermittent contact, made worse with cold weather.

Clerik90

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Freesat + Sky
My Location
Uk
Hi Rolf,

No it's not showing any signal at all, It's Sky +HD 160 gb box with dual sat inputs at back.

I've just managed to unhook the plasma on one side of wall bracket and unscrew freeesat feed, I've just tried that in sky box on its own and with the other various combination of the other two feed and it's still showing no signal, I have also tried a brand new sky+ HD box which I hadn't used before and show there is no signal either.

I'm baffled now.....

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
Hi Rolf,

No it's not showing any signal at all, It's Sky +HD 160 gb box with dual sat inputs at back.

I've just managed to unhook the plasma on one side of wall bracket and unscrew freeesat feed, I've just tried that in sky box on its own and with the other various combination of the other two feed and it's still showing no signal, I have also tried a brand new sky+ HD box which I hadn't used before and show there is no signal either.

I'm baffled now.....
Sounds like it could well be an issue with the dish/LNB outside I'm afraid. Any obvious signs on damage/movement/blockage to the dish?

I have had service calls previously where the original installer when fitting the F connectors, had cut the copper core too short, so was only making intermittent contact, made worse with cold weather.
I used to have a problem with the signal intermittently going in cold weather a while ago. I never found the cause but since then I've changed a few things like the diseqc switch and swapped some cables around and it's not reoccurred. Now I'm wondering if that might have been a cause I accidentally got rid of.

Clerik90

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Freesat + Sky
My Location
Uk
It's back on lol
I think your both spot on. I could see the sun rising and as the shadow from my neighbours porch sank down wall past the sky dish I watched the signal strength literall jump up, so I presume it has to be the connections on the dish, just a little weird that the freeesat signal still worked in the tv and not the sky box.
I will see how we go and look into getting a new dish and cables etc

davemurgtroyd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Oxford
It's back on lol
I think your both spot on. I could see the sun rising and as the shadow from my neighbours porch sank down wall past the sky dish I watched the signal strength literall jump up, so I presume it has to be the connections on the dish, just a little weird that the freeesat signal still worked in the tv and not the sky box.
I will see how we go and look into getting a new dish and cables etc
It sounds very likely that it is a poor connection between the cable and lnb - before replcing dish, cables etc I would remake the cable connector.

Last edited by a moderator:

Clerik90

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Freesat + Sky
My Location
Uk
Thx for the help guys

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The central contact on some female F connectors is further in than others, which may account for the TV working, but the
HD box not working.