Newbie Here signal problem

kazmundo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky tv to 4 rooms and broadband
My Location
huddersfield
hello,,,,bit of a strange one but here goes.......the tv picture goes black for a second when turning off the oven on two tvs when watching sky....no probs when on freeview,,the actual tv is not turning off,just the sky signal for 1 or 2 seconds at most....very occasionally goes off when flicking a light switch also.....the wiring has been tested as well as my HD splitter box and ariel antenna booster..all no probs........on advice i tried surge protection to sky box,splitter and tvs to no avail......any ideas please?

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Can you try it without the splitter? I am assuming it's the HDMI splitter?

kazmundo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
huddersfield
yes will do......whats your thoughts on this?

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
No idea. Perhaps something causing the splitter to throw a wobbly. Lots of splitters are cheap and nasty and unlikely to be protected against small surges. Why this happens only on Sky HD box, I don't know. It could be the Sky HD box throwing some interference out on its HDMI port, confusing the splitter - what Sky HD box and how old is it. Some have a tendency to have their power supplies slowly die with strange side effects.

A

archive10

As CJ says, try without the splitter. but it may be the many things.

I had something similar previously:

I used to run my Freesat box from the utillity room via HDMI extenderd (dual Cat 6 twisted pair cables) to living room.
Every time I turned on or off the lights in the *hallway*, I lost signal for 1-2 seconds on the Freesat box.
I quickly came to the conclusion that the electric surge from turning power on or off (or may even just the change in magnetic field) generated a wide-band interference in the Cat 6 cable. This caused the drop-out in signal. The electrical witing was running inside the wall, but still interfered with the Cat 6 running outside the wall. See pics below.

IMAG2011t.jpg IMAG2009t.jpg IMAG2010t.jpg

I have since relocated the box to the living room, and do not have the problem anymore - the antenna coax ironically runs on a similar path between almost the same two endpoints as the Cat 6, but is probably situated slightly furrther from electrical wiring. However, I believe the key factor in difference is that the Coax is shielded, and the Sat signal may be higher up in frequencies, or something similar. It is less prone to interference.

Back to your situation:

Check that there is not HDMI cable running very close to electrical wiring (on which a spike may be induced when your microwave turns on).
Note these may be in the wall, so try moving HDMI cables away from wall.

Check that the HDMI splitter is not situated very close to electrical wiring.
The electrical wiring need not be the actual power lines going to the microwave, it sufficies they are on the same circuit.

If you can, try some better shielded HDMI cables. This may help, but HDMI tends to be a opaque market ("gold cables" and the like).

Finally, check if the Sky box is on the same wiring as the microwave (and poss the light switch).

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Finally, check if the Sky box is on the same wiring as the microwave (and poss the light switch).
I would assume it would be as they'll be on the same ring. Though I do have a socket running to my office/playroom running directly from the fuse box. Sometimes larger houses have more than 1 ring.

That said, lights and oven will be (or should be!) on separate wiring, so maybe you have a wiring fault somewhere. But you said it was checked...

A

Archive4

hello,,,,bit of a strange one but here goes.......the tv picture goes black for a second when turning off the oven on two tvs when watching sky....no probs when on freeview,,the actual tv is not turning off,just the sky signal for 1 or 2 seconds at most....very occasionally goes off when flicking a light switch also.....the wiring has been tested as well as my HD splitter box and ariel antenna booster..all no probs........on advice i tried surge protection to sky box,splitter and tvs to no avail......any ideas please?
OK , when you say freeview, are you using a freeview box or direct to tv ( ie built in freview ) I suspect built in.
When you had the wiring tested, did the technician check neutral to earth? Many only check live to anywhere!
Where I live, due to many systems having uni-polar separation, instead of dual polar, " neutral is king "

kazmundo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
huddersfield
ok.....thanks everyone.....food for thought and lots to try....will keep you posted

battenfan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2m pf
My Location
60N 18E
I had a terrestrial Sagem receiver that had a tendency to lose signal when light switches were flicked and fridge compressor started. Even the lamp opening the fridge door triggered it. Also, the spark from a fireplace starter if I held it close enough to the receiver and it's not electrically connected to anything.