Signal problem

djrchay

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Plus Amstrad with Philips 42 inch lcd and Yamaha cinema amp
My Location
UK Glasgow
Hi , Im a new member.
Upgraded to sky plus just before christmas. Raved about it to all my friends and family until really bad weather at hogmany stopped everything from working properly.
I suspected that due to the storm that this was a dish or lnb fault.
input 1 very strong input 2 very weak or nothing
Had to wait three weeks for sky to come out.
The engineer stated that dish and lnb were ok and changed the box.
Brand new box was changed for reconditioned (Not Happy) but if solves problem will go with it.
Problem not solved even worse than before. box noisy and switching itself on and off (overheating)
Phoned Sky told to wait another two weeks, Engineer called out checked everything on roof stated ok and changed the box but could still not get a good signal on input 2.
Engineer checked signal on the 2 cables coming into house and stated that the cable going to input 2 was snagged and advised me to cut it back to where it was coming in the window rather than pay a hefty call out charge for replacement.
The cable was not snagged
I replaced the cable but there has still been no change in signal strength which leads me back to my original theory that somthing happened on the night of the storm and i still suspect the lnb.
Everything still seems to work ok until you try to recored 2 programs at the same time and one fails.
End of my tether can anyone please help , Ive no more faith in sky engineers.
Kind Regards
djrchay.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
This should really be in the sky digital section...
(Done. :) L.)
But anyway, some quad LNBs are notourious for failing on one or more ports, so it's very likely the LNB's going down the pan already, so tell sky where to stick their contract and callout charges and fix it yourself, either by using a spare port on your LNB or replacing it with a new unit. Oh, and get them to return your New box, you paid for it, so it's their duty to supply it to you... :)

(oh, you do have to be really pushy with them, otherwise they try to fob you off with excuses and refurbed boxes...)

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
dish alignment and check the lnb as they are cheap you could get one, swap it over and see if there is any difference

djrchay

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Plus Amstrad with Philips 42 inch lcd and Yamaha cinema amp
My Location
UK Glasgow
Hi Thanks for prompt reply,
I live in a tenement building and cant get access to the dish because of the height.
When i tell sky i suspect the lnb they just state to leave it to their engineers.
These guys have approx 10 installations and service calls a day and cant seem to get out of your house quick enougth.
Should i just bite the bullet and get a independant company to change the Quad also is there a quad that you would recommend
Thank you
Regards
djrchay

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
Satlook nit colour + Horizon hdsm.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
Swap the connections on the digibox and see on signal test if input 2 is still weaker.