gg59

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky
Freesat
My Location
Scotland
Hi

I am new to this so I hope I am posting this in the right place. I have brought a chalet in Scotland in which there is a sky system. I just wish to use it for freesat as the TV signal is poor in the area. I have got it working but sometimes it has lots of channels all the way up to nine hundred and something and radio channels as well, however on other occasions it has only about twenty channels and not even ITV. The funny thing is when the least number of channels is available the signal strength is over 95% and the signal quality about 75%, when all the channels are available the signal strength and signal quality are both about 60%.
Also the EPG sometimes works , sometimes doesn't - usually works when limited number of channels, usually doesn't work when all channels.
I would be most grateful for any help and suggestions.

System Details
Manufacturer Pace
Model No 1.3.16
version no. 9F0102
serial No. 00030007249
viewing card no.No card
Operating System Version 1.2s4f3
EPG Software Version 3.2.11

Thanks George

4dbennett

lifes not a practice run
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SPIDERBOX 9000HD, 1.2 and Humax Foxsat HD,Hitachi L500HDD
Acer Aspire 5315 Lappy
My Location
torfaen south wales
Your signal strength is varying because of weather/trees, if the stb has not been used for a while you should upgrade the software, to do this:-

with the stb and tele on

switch the stb off while holding the "backup" button in

keep the backup button depressed and switch the stb back on

in a few moments the lights on the stb illuminate then you can release

the backup button, a message should appear on tele screen, "do not

switch off updating software etc etc etc !"

this may help

deep joy

dave;););)

moosegoose

bog standard
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80 cm dish hh motor teco tm1000 dreambox 7020
cas 3interface
dragon cam.promax tv explorer 2.
My Location
norwich
the signal strength is not as important as the signal quality it is poss to have full signal strength with the dish pointing at the floor .your dish may all so be slightly out of alingement with out undoing any thing try flexing the dish up and down and left and right and see if it inproves signal quality dont be to heavy handed you dont want to bend it .what size dish is it.

gg59

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky
Freesat
My Location
Scotland
thanks. The dish is a standard size sky dish. My wife is at the chalet I am at home where my computer is. I will try flexing the dish when I am next up there I know what will happen if I ask her to do it.However it seems odd to me that the strongest and best signal is giving the worst result. Is it possible to have too much signal or to be picking up a reflection or something similar

moosegoose

bog standard
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80 cm dish hh motor teco tm1000 dreambox 7020
cas 3interface
dragon cam.promax tv explorer 2.
My Location
norwich
yes there are many reasons for losing some of the channels fualty lnb faulty receiver a obstruction ie trees ect .the later usually cause the picture to break up and freeze as would a poorly alinged dish

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
If you say your $ly dish is the standard one then this could be the problem. If it is the standard one for England this is smaller than the one that is normally fitted in Scotland (and Cornwall/Devon). This larger dish is known as a Zone 2 dish.

chrisjr

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Topfield TF4000 - Triax TD88 - 4 x lnb
My Location
NE Scotland
The zone2 dish measures 72cm, left to right and 59cm, top to bottom - cost being an issue for Sky, it’s the smallest size that could be deployed north of the border to catch the Astra2 spot beam (and only does that properly if it’s correctly installed). So check that the dish is a zone2 dish.

Also the lnb/box/boot on these dishes are notorious water collectors and it may be that the cabling has also taken in water, depending on the quality of that original installation - water ingress is the death of good reception.

If upgrading the stb doesn’t cure your problems, check that the dish has a clear field of view at about 20 degrees elevation and then try the flexing procedure, as suggested, to check on signal quality - note that precipitation seriously degrades the signal, so do this on a day when south of you has good weather. Also examine the lnb/box/cable for signs of water ingress and check the cable for damage (crimps/severe bends) and also for joins - all will reduce the signal quality.