Advice Needed Signal quality jumping

jase1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu Duo2,1.2 CM,1224 H to H 57E-30W. Sky dish.
My Location
Cheshire
Over the past few days the quality has been jumping from 80% down to 15%. When I'm on ITV hd and turn over to BBC1 hd the two pictures merge.
What causes this?

It's rock solid @ 93% Q as I write this.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
With signals bouncing like that, I'd be looking first at the line of sight, tree branches blowing around and partially obscuring the satellite. I'd then look at swapping out the LNB and if that didn't change things it may be the receiver power supply on its way out.

Another possibility is external interference, but that can be much maore difficult to trace.

jase1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cheshire
With signals bouncing like that, I'd be looking first at the line of sight, tree branches blowing around and partially obscuring the satellite. I'd then look at swapping out the LNB and if that didn't change things it may be the receiver power supply on its way out.

Another possibility is external interference, but that can be much maore difficult to trace.

Thanks, I'll swap the lnb first as that's easier than moving the dish. The receivers only a month old so that should be ok.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Also, are there any joins in the cable which may be susceptible to moisture ingress?

jase1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cheshire
Also, are there any joins in the cable which may be susceptible to moisture ingress?
No, the dish is about 10ft above my tv on the same wall so it's a short run. No joints in it either, it was treated to new cable about a month or two ago.
Can lnb's be intermittent? It's working fine tonight. There's a breeze too, so if anything the trees I'm aiming above would be causing problems tonight. There was no wind last night.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Given you have a new cable, it seems to me to be odds-on that the problem lie with the integrity and/or security of the F connectors.

PS: I know you illustrated the issue by reference to 28E Channels, but your User Profile suggests a motorised system - in which case you might be suffering the same issue as on this recent Thread

jase1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cheshire
Given you have a new cable, it seems to me to be odds-on that the problem lie with the integrity and/or security of the F connectors.

PS: I know you illustrated the issue by reference to 28E Channels, but your User Profile suggests a motorised system - in which case you might be suffering the same issue as on this recent Thread
I've got two feeds off a sky dish and two off the motorised. It's the sky dish giving me problems.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Ok, then that really just leaves us with the F connections: Just remake them carefully and ensure they are tweaked with an 11mm spanner.

The intermittent nature of the fault could be down to the integrity of the connection being affected by thermal changes.

We'll consider rapidly diminishing other options if that fails!

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
We tend to lose HD channels in bad weather, I have knocked the sky dish a few times messing around putting other types of antennas up above the sky dish and I can see the bubble is not in the centre, I need to realign it,

If what Tivu suggests does not work I would try tweaking the dish, also dect phones will cause problems on certain transponders,

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
I replaced a Sky LNB the other day, was an older one, channels were disappearing intermittently. When tested on the meter there were spikes on a block of high band frequencies as if there was interference, but they disappeared when I replaced the LNB.

jase1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cheshire
I know about the Dect phones, that's why mines collecting dust and I use one with a cord. How old fashioned is that?
I wonder if next door have one and were on the phone? It's been fine ever since Saturday night. Saying that I switched to the motorised and it was fine, I flicked back and it was playing up still :-ohcrap So maybe not.

Thanks for the suggestions I'll have a look :)

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
As indicated by Martin, DECT only tends to affect Transponders close to 11530 and 12480 as they operate at around 1880 MHz, which is the L Band frequency (as carried on the cable) of the downshifted signals from those two TPs (LNB Local Oscillator frequencies are 9750 MHz Low Band and 10600 MHz High Band)

Even then, DECT interference generally exploits cable screening weaknesses such as joints, faceplates and poor quality or damaged sheathing. Receivers themselves are relatively immune owing to the Faraday Cage effect.

jase1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cheshire
It looks like its the tuner :eek:

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
What sort of Tuner failure: Poor connection/Dry joint?

jase1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cheshire
What sort of Tuner failure: Poor connection/Dry joint?

I dont know yet, I'm having it looked at in a couple of days. Its only about three months old.
No matter which feed I use on this one tuner it glitches.
I'll report back.

jase1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cheshire
Ive still no idea what it was. A new tuner was fitted today and it sorted it though.