Signal quality loss on one dish aimed at 3 sats?

philh

Knowledge is power.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Amstrad Digibox and zone 2 dish.

Technomate 1500ci+, 90cm motorised dish on a very thick pole!
My Location
Leeds
If I can get some trees topped behind my house I am planning on getting a three way LNB (13, 19.2, 28.2) and putting it on my 80cm dish I currently use for Sky Digital, which gives me an almost perfect signal.

Would I then only receive a mediocre signal from all sats if I go ahead as I assume the dish would have to be more or less centred between the three?

If so, would it be better to have one excellent signal and stick with Sky Digital on this dish rather than 3 average signals, and maybe get another similar size dish with receiver for Hotbird and 19.2, with dual lnb as Sky Dig would still be my principally watched sat?

Penultimate question (sorry), can I get a dual analogue and digital receiver for decent money?

Last question (very sorry) , would it be worth motorising my 80cm dish? By my reckoning I should be able to get the above, Thor, some Eutelsat and a a couple of others here in Leeds?

Sorry for waffling, hope someone can help and please feel free to beat me down if I am hopelessly wrong on the motorised reception .

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Plan A would work, though a dish designed for trisat reception would be better, something like the Raven Gemini 90cm.

The motorised option is always the best for satellite coverage, but you'd still be better to keep a permanent dish on 28.2 East.

There are several analogue/digital receivers around, Strong Echostar and Technomate make them, but I can't see too much advantage in going that route, unless that is, you have specific analogue channels you wish to receive.

philh

Knowledge is power.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Leeds
Sorry for my naivety, but do most analogue channels now transmit in digital as well? e.g. 3Sat, Sat1, RTL etc (as you can tell, the last time I had anything other than Sky Digital was when 19.2 was the main sat!) If they do then a digital only receiver would be fine.
Do you think in your opinion that my 80cm dish will be worth motorising? I`ll only go down that route if I can definitely get other sats than the main 3 I mentioned, and if I can borrow a chainsaw and get those trees chopped!

By the way, this is an absolutely fantastic site!

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Yes most of the popular channels are now digital.

As Rolf said, the motorised option is always the best and if you can see a
significant portion of the southern hemisphere from your location then you
are halfway there. An 80cm dish set up with care, can be used to good effect
over most of the arc.

Have a go - we are always here..........:D

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Lancelot said:
Have a go - we are always here..........:D
Well, sometimes we have to eat, and go to the loo...

philh

Knowledge is power.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Leeds
Thanks chaps!