signal strength and channel problems

handyman 44

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky digibox also technomate tm 1000 ci
motorised 80 cm dish
My Location
norwich "up the city" down the ipswich
i resited a sky mini dish im getting a good signal but a hand full of channel keep blocking up is it possible to have a good signal on just some of the channels the main one which i can not get very well is north american sports which i subscribe to there is a tree outside but i think im above itits hard to work out the angle the signal is coming from

handyman 44

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
motorised 80 cm dish
My Location
i have a sat meter and it gives me signal strength in v high v low and h low and h high do u know what they mean and what ones should i use to set up a dish in norfolk many thanks

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If you go to http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/skyuk.html and look for the frequencies of the channels you are missing, then you can use the meter to its full effect.

NASN is on 11623 H so depending on the meter settings, will be on either Horizontal Low or High, probably High. You need to align on that setting, then use the quality readout to fine tune.

The LNB has four output bands, Horizontal Low, Horizontal High, Vertical Low and Vertical High, this is why the meter has these four settings. Which type is it by the way?

PS. Moved your two posts from Suggestions and Feedback to an appropriate section.

handyman 44

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
motorised 80 cm dish
My Location
thanks for your help the meter is a wolsey

handyman 44

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
motorised 80 cm dish
My Location
i have 3/4 of a bar signal strength and quality i alinged the dish with a wolsey sat meter on v high v low and h high and low the dish is mounted on the chimley with a clear line of sight the cable looks ok i dont subscribe to sky and the viewing card is 4 years old i have set up sat with a lot less signal before and had no problems it just seems very aratic some times a good picture others no signal being recieved could u help please

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
What make and model is your receiver handyman 44, also have you checked with the meter at the receiver end of the cable?

handyman 44

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
motorised 80 cm dish
My Location
yes its a pace model no 1.3216 yes there is a fair drop at the reciever but the signal indicator built into the pace system is good 3/4 on both it working fine at the moment would the old viewing card have any thing to do with it

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
There were some problems with some of the Pace models and the new software. What is the actual model number on the back of the receiver?

handyman 44

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
motorised 80 cm dish
My Location
the only no i could find was bskyb 2500b

handyman 44

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
motorised 80 cm dish
My Location
is there a test you can do to check your lnb and cable are ok

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
What makes you think you have a problem?

Has the picture been getting worse?

The more detail you can give the more the users here can help.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Going to merge this with one of your other threads handyman, if you keep starting new threads, people will have to keep asking the same questions.

handyman 44

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
motorised 80 cm dish
My Location
hi are there any know problems with the pace 2500b sky reciever and could some one tell me what a forced download is for as i read how to do it but dont know why

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
Satlook nit colour + Horizon hdsm.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
handyman 44 said:
hi are there any know problems with the pace 2500b sky reciever and could some one tell me what a forced download is for as i read how to do it but dont know why
Most common problem would be the tuner,the sympton being no signal.Whats wrong with yours?
Now and again sky send out software updates and all digiboxes that are on at the time receive and autoupdate.If a digibox has not been connected for a long time it would miss the new software and not function properly,so you can force a download to get the latest software.But if you have missed more than one,then its sometimes dificult and needs a few attempts.

handyman 44

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
motorised 80 cm dish
My Location
thanks for the info i got good signal but i can only get itv 3 bbc1 2 3 4 and few others the rest of the channels come up no signal being recieved i wonderd if it was the old viewing card i was using what do u think

handyman 44

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
motorised 80 cm dish
My Location
i found a old digi box in the skip and connected it to my dish it solved all the problems i can now receive all the free to air channels thanks for all the help .ps how do u do a forced dowload as i have not given up on the old pace

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Switch the receiver off by disconnecting from the mains. Wait a few seconds and then press the backup button on the receiver (NOT the remote). Keep the button pressed, reconnect to the mains and wait for the lights on front to come on - you can then let go of the backup button.

The download can take between 5 and 30 minutes to complete - if you have the receiver connected by scart lead you can follow the progress on the TV.

PaulR