Signal strength and signal quality???

lovegroove

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Minibox, 45cm dish, 32" Samsung LCD, Samsung HD860 DVD & Charp XV-Z10E Projector with 6' Screen
My Location
France
I've just been trying to setup my friends sky over here in France (Chamonix to be more precise). She has a 1m dish and I have previously managed to get it to work. Today when I went round to have a look, the signal strength was nearly at max but the signal quality was nearly at zero. Why would this happen?
No amount of tweaking by me could get it to work. Is it an LNB problem, a BOX problem or a cable problem?
I have one of those beepy sat finder things and it was screaming at a really high pitch in my ear, so I should have been pointing the dish in the right direction.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers,

Phil ;)

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
Did you move the dish far? It could be that you are pointing at the wrong satellite now. If you are using a digibox, what is the Network ID? It should be 0002

dxsat

Reaction score
Website
skyinmadrid.com
My Satellite Setup
Snap's setup: (In Spain) Humax HDR, Prodelin 1.8m dish + Invacom QDF-031 + CM feed, (In UK) CallFlow VDSL + EE 4G, Sky Q, YouView HD, Mac OSX, iOS
My Location
UK: Tonbridge, Kent. Spain: Madrid.
You probably have the dish pointing at Astra 1 at 19 degrees, which is pretty close. Try adding channels: (or manual tuning)
Polarisation V
5/6
If you get a positive result and can see BBC World, you have Astra 1

aba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
chaparral montery 40 fully loaded
ehcostar ad3600ipvia
3 dishes zone 2 / 1 mt motorized / 2.3 m motorized
My Location
nottingham
if youve got good strength but no signal quility its a sighn of being on the wrong satellite as the two previouse posts say

if you can try moving your tv and satellite receiver near to where you are working on the dish so you can see the tv while you are working on the dish and use the strength and quility meter on the receiver
those beepy sat finder things tell you when you are on a satellite but dont tell you what satellite
just switch every thing on go into sky menus so you can see them on the tv bring up the meter screen on the tv for sky and move dish slowly till youve got strength and quility till it peaks right to left and then up and down even try rotateing your lnb slightly even that will make a differance

e-sky

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
OA-1600 SMW / PF 180cm petal dish
MTI LNB AP8-T2NRC
PACE 2500
My Location
Toreboda, Sweden
I think you should unplug the box from the outlet, wait then plug it back in again. I've had similar problems with my large dish. The signal shows max with no quality displayed. All the channels work fine, but once in a while it cuts out with No satellite signal found.

I suspect the larger dish over powers the receiver and causes something in the receiver to cut out. Don't ask me why, but when I used a smaller dish I don't get this problem and the quality is displayed.