Signal strength & quality difference

John T

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
60cm dish, dual LNB, Topfield TF5010PVR
My Location
North Staffordshire England
What is the difference between these two? With a Sky mini dish I have a lower strength but higher quality than with a 60cm dish I have installed. Can some kind person explain the difference please? I've tried Google but can't get an explanation.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Strength refers to the amount of signal you are receiving, a bigger dish will normally give you a larger figure. Quality refers to the difference between the ambient noise level and the amount of signal, some quality readings refer to bit error rate though.

You can have lowish signal strength, but as long as you have good quality, you will still get a good picture, high strength and low quality may give you picture breakup.

Cupart

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Why wouldn't you then expect to automaticaly get a high quality signal, when the signal strength is high?

:-gnome

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Because signal strength is an indication of how much signal you are receiving, which could be the wanted signal itself, LNB amplifier noise, interference from outside sources etc.

Put simply, signal quality is the digital information correctly decoded by your receiver.

Llew

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
... a figure often poorly and sometimes hopelessly reported by some receivers in my experience.

BER may be something completely different, but at least its mathematically acurate (one would hope!) :)