Signal strength v Signal quality - help a newbie please

MIsterKew

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Incomplete (as yet)
I am currently trying to install a satellite set up on a shoe string in the south of Crete.

I have blagged a 1.8 metre parabolic (centre feed?) dish and obtained a sky digibox from the UK.( with a blue sky card with the yellow house on it)

I can get 100% on the signal strength meter in the recievers setup menu, but cannot get any signal quality at all.

I have tried changing the default transponder from the north to south beam (and back again).

I am not absolutely certain the the LNB is at the correct focal length, as the support arms were disconnected when the dish was blagged.

I am trying to get Sky from Astra 2 at 28.2 - just to keep up with good ol blighty from time to time.

Am i missing something totally straightforward, could it be a problem with the digibox? would pointing at the wrong satellite give me this result? wouldan incorrect focal length cause this?

any hep or advice gratefully recieved....

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You can get a signal strength reading by pointing at Astra 19.2E, does it tell you a transport stream number?

MIsterKew

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Incomplete (as yet)
rolfw said:
You can get a signal strength reading by pointing at Astra 19.2E, does it tell you a transport stream number?

NO, I cannot get a "lock on". and therefore no stream or ID reading.

I have tried a variety of "default" transponders since yesterday, but am still unable to get any quality at all, I presume if I can get some signal quality, it may then proceed to lock on to the transonder in question?

so I am still stuck, unfortunately.

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Silly Q but are you 100% certain that you are on 28.2 ?

Have you got any other means other than a digi-box to scan the sat, like an ordinary fta reciever as that will eliminate this.

Just nice to be sure before you start tearing ya hair out. :)

L.

MIsterKew

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Incomplete (as yet)
NO, I am not 100% certain unforunately...

I have an old analogue reciever, could that be used in someway to confirm which satellite I am currently pointing at?

I have used both the sky digibox setup menu and also a satelllite finder to get this far but cannot find much info as to where to point it. I am in southern Crete remember, and as such right on the edge or even outside the footprints (depending on who you believe)

I have used SMW link3 to get the settings I am using.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Well if you get ANY analogue signals with your analogue receiver then you are definitely not on 28.2E as there are no analogue transmission there at all!

PaulR

MIsterKew

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Incomplete (as yet)
well thats a start I suppose... Ill try it Monday afternoon,thanks

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
Sky digiboxes should get “default” transponder, even on quite low signal strength, so it sounds like either that’s wrongly set, or you’re getting wrong satellite. This more likely, there’s lots of satellites, and it’s very easy to do! At approximate bearing, try very slowly “sweeping” dish horizontally, to find each different signal, give digibox time to “lock in” to each, hopefully signal quality will “appear” on one of them.

You can try “installer menu”, and reset everything to “default”, can’t do any harm. On remote control, select services, then v. quickly enter “4 0 1 select”, menu should come up, doesn’t always work first time.

Signal strength is exactly that. Quality measures error correction, how hard receiver is working to “clean up” received bitstream, depends on signal to noise ratio. If high signal strength, but nothing on quality, almost certainly it’s the wrong satellite