SIGNAL STRENGTH vs QUALITY

Stuart

Reaction score
Just entered into the world of satellites - briefly with 80cm dish - 2 LNB's - Astra (19deg E) + Hotbirds (13deg E). Primariliy interested in the Italian content, but I seem to have a problem with "RAI3" - sometimes there, sometimes not.
Receiver telling me that Signal Strength is GOOD but Signal Quality is LOW.
Is this a known problem with this channel? ("Rete4" is also a bit marginal)
Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated - thanks

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
They should be fine Stuart, perhaps you need to tweak the Dish or adjust the Skew on the LNB slightly. Have you got two separate LNBs or a monobloc?

Stuart

Reaction score
Rolf - thanks for that. I have 2 separate (0.3db) LNB's which were only installed yesterday. If the problem persists I'll get the install guys back to check it out - Cheers.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
As a matter of interest, which LNB has the prime focus?

Stuart

Reaction score
Sorry - don't know the answer to that.
I know that I originally wanted Hotbird + Eutelsat W2, but apparently the LNB's couldn't cope with the 3deg difference as they were touching each other.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Good way of telling is looking at the dish from behind the LNB, if the right hand one is mounted directly onto the Boom and the other is offset, then Hotbird is the prime focus which is correct.

Stuart

Reaction score
Rolf - can't get to the installation til later on, I'll have a look then.
Being 'techie' - but not about sats yet - curious to know why one should be prime over the other. Is it anything to do with the signal strengths?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, exactly that. :)

Stuart

Reaction score
Rolf - Hotbird is prime focus.
Problem seemed to be the skew as you suspected. Gave it a tweek and it boosted the signal quality -solved the problem - thanks for your help. Just one other question before we close the thread, and excuse my ignorance, but what is a PID? Regards

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
A PID is an ID number for audio and video, sometimes you may need to enter these to receive a hard to receive channel, or a specific language in audio.