Silvercrest SL 65 Receiver

JAMBOliam

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Silvercrest SL65 with DiSeq 1.2 motor, HDrive 100gigs, dvd recorder, 5.1 goodmans surround sound, xbox360 wifi live,goodmans GD3
My Location
Edinburgh
well i havnt mounted it on the roof yet (didnt come with the fittings) so ive got it on my shed roof, and plugged in the sat beeper thing that came with it, found astra sat (i think) and am getting about 200 german channels, al gazeera, Raiuno, tv5 etc.

Raiuno is great, but unfortunatly i cannot seem to get hybird satellite, which has a lot more italian channels by the looks of it, which would be perfect.

what do you guys suggest? think i should return the lot, then buy the individual reciever, and find a bigger dish?

what about a motorised dish? also, i have broadband, is there a way i can plug that into a reciever to help in some way?

sorry as i know absolutly nothin on this subject!

Milkybarkid

Reaction score
Keep the stuff you've bought,it includes the twin LNB. If you wanted an 85cm dish as well and there are some left it's only £15.

JAMBOliam

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Silvercrest SL65 with DiSeq 1.2 motor, HDrive 100gigs, dvd recorder, 5.1 goodmans surround sound, xbox360 wifi live,goodmans GD3
My Location
Edinburgh
i think the LNB is just a regular one, with 2 outputs.

i either get all the uk digital terrestial channels, or if i move the satellite a bit i get al gazeera, rai, german channels etc.

its just a pitty i cant get all of the channels together, any ideas?

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
You should be Ok to receive all the main 'high power' satellites. Hotbird is next to the old Astra Sky analogue satellite and should work fine.

The new Astra Sky satellite that you're getting freeview off is to the left of the other two (when looking from the back of the dish).

Part of the fun is finding the different satellite. If you have fixed your mount and find a satellite mark the dish position on the mount. Move to another and do the same. soon you will have a number of positions to view.

If you can get the freeview channels without satellite I would move to the old Astra/Hotbird positions, loads of FTA channels.

The LNB has two outputs but they both receive the same satellite (the one the dish is pointed at, at the time).

Don't think the receiver has two LNB inputs so a second LNB option may not be practical.

If you get hooked then you could add a motor to the dish and scan the skies. Then you would be better with a larger dish to get the best results. Just check that have no obstruction across the south horizon before you invest any more hard earned cash.

JAMBOliam

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Edinburgh
does a big tree count as an obstruction?, other than that there isnt really any obstructions, just back gardens.

so far ive had the german challels, (RTL etc,) TV5, al jazeera and rai, in all there was about 200 channels i think.

and when i move it a bit, i was getting the uk channels, plus abu dhabi and all that (about 400 channels)

what id like is the hotbird (i think) where they recieve the Media Set, RAI etc, does that mean moving my satellite a lot or just a tad like before?

what are the advantages of a bigger dish? does it mean i could recieve all of these at once?

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland

JAMBOliam

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Edinburgh
dont think the tree will be a problem, its to the south of the satellites im picking up.

just built a pole to place my satellite on top of, so will test it all out tommorow, fingers crossed!

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
JAMBOliam said:
just built a pole to place my satellite on top of

Would need to be a long pole - :-rofl2

I take it you refer to the dish?

harrowwoman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
One dish 1.5cm with 3 LNBs picking up Hotbird,Arabsat,Astra
old Echostar receiver, GlobalStar 6000i
My Location
Harrow,Middlesex, UK
O-Ha I went ti Lidl on Monday also, and purchased the Silvercrest to replace my Echostar which I find difficult to programme.
I set it up without any problems scanned for Hotbird, got all the FTA channels on that. I have two dishes, one 90cm pointed at Arabsat, one smaller pointed at Hotbird (or it my be the other way around, cant remember now), two universal LNB's.

Now, in the pre-programmed satellite list I couldn't find Arabsat. How would I be able to scan for that, and what other satellites would I be able to get with these two dishes and the direction the are pointing? Should I set up the Echostar to just get the Arabsat and leave the Silvercrest one to do Hotbird? I also bought a thingy for searching the satellite signals, where would I insert this? I also got another LNB (just in case), can I add this to the dish somehow to pick up other satellites?

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
If this was working before with the Echostar then do we assume you have a diseqc switch? Or were you manually changing cables?

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
harrowwoman said:
I also bought a thingy for searching the satellite signals, where would I insert this?

It comes with a short lead, attach one end (doesn't matter which) to the LNB at the dish. The other end to the Satellite Finder, if you check the back of the finder each side is marked LNB or Receiver.

The cable end that you will connect to the LNB from the receiver goes into the receiver port on the satellite finder. If you turn up the volume - when you find a satellite position is will scream (loud) then adjust the volume to the weakest signal and adjust the dish to see if the signal improves. Keep adjusting to get the best signal then tighten the dish and remove the finder.

I also got another LNB (just in case), can I add this to the dish somehow to pick up other satellites?

You can only use this if your receiver has two LNB inputs otherwise you will need a switch or two receivers.

JAMBOliam

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Edinburgh
i just managed to find hotbird, got Mediaset, and all the RAI, and also managed to keep some of my favourites from astra, RTL and Super RTL, guess they are on hotbird too, along with tonnes of arab channels, very happy indeed :D

however, was watichin Raiuno and when a programme i wanted to watch came on, the screen came up with the 'scrambled' message, it had happened before with raitre, but i thought it might just have been interference on the signal, but happening twice got me a bit worried.

do certain channels scramble their signals for satellite viewers for some programmes? or was it just a glitch?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
It is standard, they will be programmes for which they only have Italian copyright.

Jamie

Reaction score
Hi
Yesterday I had a SilverCrest SL 65
I think it is brilliant for the money
I understand you can enhance the
performance of the receiver by patching
the software .
have you any views on this,
what links I've found are all dead

Jamie

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Hi Jamie

No the SL65 cannot be patched AFAIK

stanners91

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
silvercrest sl65
My Location
calne
Hi I have just brought a Silvercrest SL65 and was wondering if i can receive all freeview channels you get off a freeview box and is the quality better than analouge. Also will i receive digital quality signals if so

Thanks Stanners91

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Welcome to the forum stanners91

You seem a trifle confused here. Freeview is the terrestrial digital transmission which is currently transmitted simultaneously with the terrestrial analogue channels until the latter is switched off.

The signal you receive on the sl65 will be digital and better quality than the analogue signals but not necessarily better than the digital terrestrial.

No you cannot currently receive channel4 and channel five as they are nds encrypted until 2008 but they can be received using a £20.00 sky card no subscription necessary

harrowwoman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
One dish 1.5cm with 3 LNBs picking up Hotbird,Arabsat,Astra
old Echostar receiver, GlobalStar 6000i
My Location
Harrow,Middlesex, UK
Thanks Topper,
I assume there is a diseqc switch as I did not have to touch the cables.

Last night I sat there for about three hours trying to figure everything out. As I have just bought the receiver should I do an upgrade yet? Would that improve anything?

I did manage to work out how to get Nilesat (or think I have) I just went to New Satelite, changed the name to Nilesat and did a scan....it seems to have picked up loads of channels, but whether they are actually Nilesat I dont know till I get home with my copy of What Satellie bought this morning on the way to work.

Has Arabsat changed its name to Badr?

My son-in-law has the same receiver bought some months back, that seems to have a different set-up procedure which is easier than this one.

I would really appreciate it if you could tell me if I am doing it wrong?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Locate Arabsat in the satellite setup panel of the menu and allocate it to DiseqC 2 of 2, you should then be able to scan it for channels.

mick2me

Reaction score
Website
www.nottstalgia.com
My Satellite Setup
'Fortec Star Passion' (& a dead SL65) One of them big Woks on the outside, and a thingy that moves it about a bit.
My Location
Nottingham
I've been away from these forums for a while.
Is there a working patch for the 65 yet?