Silvercrest SL65 Install Problems (Astra1 28.8E)

jaytapp

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SilverCrest SL65
(Trying to get it to work)
My Location
Kent
Its all new please help.
Just brought the Silvercrest SL65 Satellite kit.

Using other sky minidish's in the area as a guide. Set the dish in roughly the right direction and angle. As I want to recieve Astra1 28.2E.

Then using the sat-beeper that came with the kit moved the dish to the right location according to the highest pitched sound coming from the finder. Which meant I need to move the dish to a slightly different position. (The sat-beeper only seems to change pitch in 1 place, expected serveral changes at each satellite location)

But nothing....now I'm new to all of this and the instruction manual does't help.

TV shows a no signal message, with a raindrop type of symbol. I did manage to get the screen on the TV to show between 60-80% signal intensity and the signal quality at 14%, when I go to antenna setup.
According to the troubleshooting part of the manual 60% should be good enough but still no pictures.

Please any help.....thanks jay

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
14% quality would indicate that you are off on your pointing, which transponder frequency are you using from Astra 28.2? You also need to adjust the skew (rotation) of the LNB, should be around 25 minutes to the hour, as you look from behind the LNB towards the dish.

Gooner71

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Silvercrest/Comag SL65/12 -patched

Technomate 1000ci - patched

Sky mini-dish & 60cm fixed!!

Anyone fancy sending me a diseqc switch - fed up climbing a ladder to swap them over - lol!!
My Location
Cymru
You probably are not on 28.2!! - if you are getting a strong signal try selecting 19 and do a blind search and see what you pick up - it maybe that you are on a different satellite altogether!!

jaytapp

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SilverCrest SL65
My Location
Kent
Guys thanks for your help...its much appreciated.

I'm going to have another try this evening armed with your response and some more info I've found.

Think my first issue is rotation, as I don't realise this needed to be done.

One last thing that is confusing me still is transponder frequency....??

What I want to receive is as many FTA English channels as possible, that you would normally find on digital terrestrial. Being on the fringes, of reception via a normal TV ariel, satellite seems the only viable option.

Apparently the SL65 comes ready set up, but I will check the frequency in the settings. Having looked at Lyngsat.com I'm a little lost at what is the correct SR and FEC that is being transmitted by Astra 28.2E. They all appear to me to be different.

Would one of you please respond to this thread with the actual frequencies I need to be using.

Apologies if this seems simple but, I'm new to all of this and have to start somewhere

Thanks a millions guys.

Jay

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The reason we mention setting your receiver to a particular transponder frequency, is that it makes it easier to find the correct satellite.

In you satellite setting menu, there should be a drop down menu where it mentions transponder frequency, see if it has 10714 listed and then try moving the dish watching the signal and quality bars on that screen.

Here is a list of the transponders on that satellite.

The most common problem when novices are trying to find Astra 28.2, is that they point the dish too high, the dish face should not be far off vertical from your location.

jaytapp

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SilverCrest SL65
My Location
Kent
Hi Guys,

Good and bad news I'm afraid to say. :) O-no

I adjusted everything to the right positions...LNB skew to 25 minutes to the hour from behind the dish...elevation was out so using the guide on the rear of the dish now set to 25 degrees...the azimuth (direction) 146 degrees actually slightly more as using magnetic north.

Then ensured Astra 28.2E was selected in the set up and checked that the TP frequency was set to 10714 which it was. Used a Satfinder to double check and it showed a strong signal.

Then performed an Auto Scan and found loads of channels....
Turk Shop
Turk Spor
Turk TV
Ordu TV
Hayat TV
Istanbul TV
Hilal TV........ so I assume that’s Turksat 42E found then ha ha.
(But as I’m new to this I may be wrong, but have written down the whole list of channels)

After finding these channels I did do a further check in the Antenna Set Up Menu to ensure I was still on Astra 28.2E and 10714 and it was.

So the big question....where is the holy grail Astra 28.2E from here???

I marked this position on the mounting pole, and leaving the skew and elevation as it was. I've tried moving the dish left to right (viewing from behind the dish). The Satfinder has found two more strong signals one each side of my mark, about 5mm either side. I did retry an Auto Scan at both locations but nothing, and no pictures.

Apologies for going on a bit here, but just want to give as much info as possible.

Any ideas, thoughts or instructions, to get Astra 28.8E gladly received

Thanks again

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Yes I would say that you are correct this is a good place to confirm things via frequencies etc.
So you need to rotate your dish about 14 degrees to the right from behind and raise the elevation slightly as you are pointing the dish at an arc of satellites which are lower at either end and higher in the middle. Make sure you alter to one of the FTA transponder frequencies SR and FEC as per here The fact that you have got something must be a thrill I remember the first time I received analogue transmissions, it was really quite a buzz. Patience is required with digital as it takes a few seconds for the PLL to lock and the buffers to fill with data before displaying on the screen. In the analogue days you had a degree of warning as you rotated the dish as lines and bars appeared the closer you got to the sat

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
From behind the dish, the LNB skew should be 25 past the hour, an elevation of 25 degrees is too low for kent for Astra 28.2, try a degree or so higher and move the dish 14 degrees to the West.

When you scan to check the results, just do a single transponder scan.

jaytapp

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SilverCrest SL65
My Location
Kent
Topper thanks for your help.
I'm so so close I don't want to give up...and your dead right Topper a smile on my face when I got TurkSat.

Can I just double check to make sure I totally understand. If I go to http://www.lyngsat.com/28east.html look down the list for a FTA, say BBC, TP Frequcency is 10773 H and the Symbol Rate is 22000.
Would I be correct in saying the FEC is 5/6, would does this mean and do I need to enter this setting anywhere?? The TP Freq and SR are the settings that I need to make sure are correctly entered?? I do have a setting called TP Index (shows 1/99), but assume this is just program location on the reciever, ie a normal TV BBC1 would be at 1/100 (ie program location 1 of 100) or is this the FEC setting??.

A very good point about wating for the PLL to lock as didn't think of that, do I need to bear that in mind when using a Satfinder or Satbleeper?? Or will that look onto the signal strenght straight away??

Thanks

jaytapp

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SilverCrest SL65
My Location
Kent
Rolfw, thanks to you to.

I've got the LNB skew right, from behind the dish 25 minutes past the hour.

As for the elevation, you seem to know the SL65, are you as familiar with the 57cm dish that Silvercrest kit it up with?? If so can I go by the elevation guide on the bracket on the back of the dish, or is this inaccurate??

I will also try the transponder scan, also assume if this doesn't find any programs neither will a full preset or auto scan.

Thanks Everyone.....

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
jaytapp said:
Can I just double check to make sure I totally understand. If I go to http://www.lyngsat.com/28east.html look down the list for a FTA, say BBC, TP Frequcency is 10773 H and the Symbol Rate is 22000.
Would I be correct in saying the FEC is 5/6, would does this mean and do I need to enter this setting anywhere??
I do not have one of these receivers but generally they are all very similar as they have to provide similar functionality. But yes 5/6 is correct, they do not repeat it for every channel only on the first channel of a transponder. You will need to scan for the other channels as far as I am aware.
Thre are some tutorials on the forum just do a forum search for SL65, there are load of threads
jaytapp said:
The TP Freq and SR are the settings that I need to make sure are correctly entered?? I do have a setting called TP Index (shows 1/99), but assume this is just program location on the reciever, ie a normal TV BBC1 would be at 1/100 (ie program location 1 of 100) or is this the FEC setting??.
I think you are correct, perhaps each satellite is limited to 100 transponders with that stb. I have seen some mention on previous threads about it being difficult to locate the place to set FEC rate

jaytapp said:
do I need to bear that in mind when using a Satfinder or Satbleeper?? Or will that look onto the signal strenght straight away??

Thanks
I have never used one so could be wrong but I think that will respond straight away as it only has to detect the presence of a signal and not process it at all

Yorks

Mentally unstable.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pretend to know what I'm doing. Only the clever ones rumble me.
My Location
S. Yorks
jaytapp said:
Would I be correct in saying the FEC is 5/6, would does this mean and do I need to enter this setting anywhere?? The TP Freq and SR are the settings that I need to make sure are correctly entered?? I do have a setting called TP Index (shows 1/99), but assume this is just program location on the reciever, ie a normal TV BBC1 would be at 1/100 (ie program location 1 of 100) or is this the FEC setting??
Thanks

As with a lot of receivers now, there is no need to specify FEC. This is detected automatically.

The TP index (1/100) is just a number assigned to it, so that you can see how many transponders you have. It does not tie up to channel numbers. As you can see on Lyngsat, several channels can be carried on a single transponder.

Yorks :)

wexy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
silver crest sl65
My Location
wexford. ireland
Can you tell me how I can post a problem.I cant see anything that says post your question? Many ThanksWexy

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
wexy said:
Can you tell me how I can post a problem.I cant see anything that says post your question? Many ThanksWexy
Well if you are reading this then scroll down and on the right hand side there is a small window called forum jump, click on that and jump to the forum section you want to post in click on the button that says new thread.

jaytapp

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SilverCrest SL65
My Location
Kent
Hi Guys.....

Not forgotten all your brill advice, just not had a chance to try it out.

Very busy weekend...so I will give it another try to locate that Astra1 28.8E
Tuesday evening.

Can believe how much I've learnt from satellites.co.uk, cheers.

Will be back tomorrow.

jaytapp

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SilverCrest SL65
My Location
Kent
:):):):):):):)

Yes found it the holy grail.....Astra1 28.8E

:-worshipTopper, :-worshipRolfw, what can I say thanks vey much guys for all your assistance.

Move the dish slightly upwards (elevation) and 14 degress west and there it was.

I will say I did have to perform a full channel scan to receive all channels that I should have been to.

Sat down last night cold beer and big smile.
Even offered to install a system for a friend.

Thanks lads, thanks a million.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
jaytapp said:
:):):):):):):)

Yes found it the holy grail.....Astra1 28.8E

:-worshipTopper, :-worshipRolfw, what can I say thanks vey much guys for all your assistance.

Move the dish slightly upwards (elevation) and 14 degress west and there it was.
I will say I did have to perform a full channel scan to receive all channels that I should have been to.
Sat down last night cold beer and big smile.
Even offered to install a system for a friend.
Thanks lads, thanks a million.

Brilliant..... it's nice to see a smile or indeed a grin on someones face, the thrill of the find is quite addictive and before long you will be searching lyngsat for more challenges or even dare I say it going fully motorised :eek::-Nooo

:-balloons:-bighappy