Silvercrest SL65 serial port

alterego

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky panasonic, Silvercrest SL65, Skystar USB, Sky ZOne 2 dish on a Moteck SG2100A
My Location
North West England
Just got one, and thought I would try the downloadable application for retreiving and editing the channels to eliminate all the dross, this application is on the Comag web site. It's 'STB Editor 2.0.23'
Got myself a null modem cable, connected up, but no joy on the connection so far. The PC application gets as far as a Window saying 'Please switch on the STB with the Hotkey' but doesn't go any further. I've tried powering the box on and off with the mains switch, using the remote power on and off and the front panel switch, but no success. The null modem cable is to the spec in the first diagram here:
http://www.nullmodem.com/NullModem.htm
COM port on the laptop is tested and working. Any idea what may be wrong please?

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Cable looks fine there. I agree most of this is done with a mains off start so that was logical.
What of this 'Hotkey' ? does it get a mention in the user blurb or on their website ??

L. :)

alterego

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky panasonic, Silvercrest SL65, Skystar USB, Sky ZOne 2 dish on a Moteck SG2100A
My Location
North West England
What of this 'Hotkey' ? does it get a mention in the user blurb or on their website ??

Ahh.... Just used google to translate the german only note which comes with the software:
"Program list of the receiver on PC get: Receiver with the PC over "zero-modem cable" connect (pin 2 and 3 gekreutzt). Editor program start. In the editor, on "file" and then on "new one" click. Press and hold the key "power" at the receiver. Receiver with the backbone network switch switch on and after approximately 4 sec. the key "power" release. (at the receiver "b2PC" appears) at the PC on "Process" and then to "file click to down load". Control rooms to in the editor the program list appears. Program list work on and in the PC store."
Well.. you get the gist...
Holding the front panel power switch down while the mains is powered on does work, download is now fine, thanks for the prompt to pursue this, should have translated the note earlier!

alterego

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West England
Mmmm.. spoke too soon, did 69K of 171K, then stops. I've tried h/w flow control on, no difference...

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Go again if it will take it in a half loaded state, and see if it fails at the same point in the D/L.

L.:)

alterego

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West England
I think it's buffer/xp related. I was using my XP laptop. I've now tried it on a W2K desktop, and after a few false starts, it's worked. Not sure whether I trust the application enough though to try editing and uploading the contents back. When it gets to the end for example, while the progress window says transfer complete, it sits there without an 'Ok' button, so you have to press 'cancel': they've probably used some elderly serial port library which doesn't fully handle XP's little quirks.

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Good save. Yep it probably is better to stay where it is as long as it has the functionality you require. Always an element of risk with patching, just knowing how to keep it to a minimum is the trick.

L.

alterego

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West England
I must withdraw my comment about the STBEditor program's handling of the serial port. I noticed someone on a Spanish site reporting the same problem with a Dell laptop. This rang bells, so I searched the Dell website for any admitted issues. There weren't any. However a search with Google revealed other applications with issues with the Dell serial port, and suggestions there were BIOS updates available.
So, I downloaded the latest version from Dell, and ran the update....
The program works fine now! Scarey tho', knowing that if the BIOS update doesn't work (and it's a 4 year old laptop in daily use) you have a dead laptop.

dkindt

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Silvercrest SL65
My Location
Belgium
Hello,

I am also trying to change the program of my silvercrest SL65, but I don't succeed to put the receiver in the upload/download mode, even doing what comag is saying. Can you please describe me exactly what buttons you pushed during start-up of the receiver.

Thanks

PJ12

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Lidl 80cm disk and sl65
now attempting to install SG2100a motor without manual....
My Location
Wales
I bought 2 sl65s from Lidls about a month ago. The first (in the full kit) worked according to the instructions, although I could not download to the receiver afterwards.

The second box would not allow me to do anything with it. This is one of the new Ali types (I had a look). Does anyone know how to save channels or the original memory ?

scl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SilverCrest 65
My Location
Ireland
I have lost software and instructions to edit the channel list in my SL65. Can someone advice me where to download the software from and instrcuctions how to use it. Comag has no link for the software download! Thanks.

scl

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
scl said:
I have lost software and instructions to edit the channel list in my SL65. Can someone advice me where to download the software from and instrcuctions how to use it. Comag has no link for the software download! Thanks.

scl

Sorry for the delay (but generally it's a better idea not to post in a thread that's a year old!!!), here's where you can get both the manual and the software for the SL65:

_http://www.mysilvercrest.de/en/artikel.php?a=51&av=2

scl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SilverCrest 65
My Location
Ireland
2cvbloke,

Thank you very much. How do I edit the channel list with the software? I managed to connect the SL65 to my laptop but there was no communication between the two, simply because I had no instructions!

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
scl said:
2cvbloke,

Thank you very much. How do I edit the channel list with the software? I managed to connect the SL65 to my laptop but there was no communication between the two, simply because I had no instructions!

Unfortunately, I don't know, I've not hooked my SL65 up to a PC or laptop yet so I haven't had a chance to try it. If you're using XP or 2000 you may need to use something called "Port 95/NT" to use the serial port with the receiver's software... :)

racky29

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Silvercrest SL65 sat receiver, Satcontol Motor sm3d12, Comag co80 Dish
My Location
birmingham, uk
i tried connecting a SL65 to com port on an Xp machine and could not get any communtication at all

then used the same null cable with a usb-serial converter lead
and it worked flawless, strange i would think it would be the other way round, but hey it works

usb to serial lead from ebay, couple of quid

also there are reports of some of the later models os SL65 not working properly with some of the manager software around, especially the latest E1 chip sl65

flyfifer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
silvercrest lidl box and sky dish 60 or 80 i think
My Location
fife,scotland
I just registered here,and the information on this site is amazing, I do a bit computer work and this is my next challenge(I bought an sl65 from lidl a month or so ago) so wanted to "use" the port on the box to put in software etc,all i want is e4 more 4 etc as i got p*****d of with sky,but i still have both boxes working on an old sky dish,this is going to be fun.
nice to be here lads !!

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You won't get E4 and More 4 without a FTV card, until that is, they go free to air. No amount of patching will achieve what you are looking for.

flyfifer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
silvercrest lidl box and sky dish 60 or 80 i think
My Location
fife,scotland
rolfw said:
You won't get E4 and More 4 without a FTV card, until that is, they go free to air. No amount of patching will achieve what you are looking for.

Dam !,this sl65 box picks up 6 sats,are they not on ANY of them?and sometimes when i move from sat to sat it comes up "moving dish" yet it is just a fixed sky dish,or can it move the LNB just a little? or am i just being stupid:confused

thanks anyway rolfw,i'll perceiver

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
flyfifer said:
Dam !,this sl65 box picks up 6 sats

It will pick up whatever sats your dish is pointing at but only one at a time unless you go monobloc or multi lnb

Just to clarify most receivers come pre-programmed with some of the most popular satellites and channel frequencies. They often tend to have diseqc enabled in the menu which means that when you change to a channel on another satellite, the box generates diseqc commands to tell the motor to move which is why you see the message, but of course you have not got a motorised dish. Therefore because you have a fixed dish pointing at say 19.2 East or sky at 28.2 East when you click on another (pre-programmed)channel from another satellite what you are seeing really are instances where channels are using the same frequency polarisation and FEC rate etc.