simpler than messing around with an external hdd

musictalking

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Something In The Air
My Location
london
just bought a new slr which accepts SDHC. It came with a 32gB card and an SDHC USB reader. You can guess where this is going. Plugged into the back of my fortec star and bullseye! Formats, re-reads, ok it's only 32gB but that is enough to record umpteen HD shows. Then simply unplug and transfer to your PC. Format. Start again. Recommend TS Doctor. Recommend IMTOO video converter. And suddenly your fortec star becomes a Star again.

btw total cost of new 32gB card+usb SDHC reader = under 20 quid. bargain. not tried 64gB yet but really don't need it as TS Docter transforms all those nasty video ts files into ones that WMP can see. or just keep them and buy a new 32gB card. wotalarf!!!!

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
You'll find that anything over 32GB will be to the SDXC standard so you've gone as big as you can at the moment.

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
I use an SD card in my DRHD F15 for the odd recording, it's quite handy and easy to transfer to the computer or tablet too.

musictalking

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Something In The Air
My Location
london
You'll find that anything over 32GB will be to the SDXC standard so you've gone as big as you can at the moment.

Lovely Jubbly. But my newly arrived 64gB SD card is working fine out of my SDHC USB Reader...

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
First, confirm that the card says SDXC on it. It can't be SDHC as the standard doesn't support such a large capacity. And...

Second, look at the reader to see if it mentions SDXC. It's just possible that you've bought a reader that understands the new standard. Or...

Third, it's possible that you've bought a counterfeit card. These have the MBR (I think) doctored so that when you do a simple properties check they give a false reading. You will find that the card will store files up to a certain amount which may be as little as a couple of Gigabytes. The card will report that it's saving more than this amount but the files don't exist and cannot be retrieved.

There's more info here:

http://www.ebay.com/gds/FAKE-SanDisk-Ultra-Secure-Digital-Cards-Exposed/10000000001254879/g.html

http://flashchiptech.wordpress.com/...ownload-to-check-flash-drives-and-memory-car/

I recently bought a couple of 32GB cards and the first thing I did when I received them was to check them out using the H2testw software mentioned.

If it's none of the above - well I'm stumped!

musictalking

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Something In The Air
My Location
london
Well you're right on all counts! I think it's the card reader that has to be compatible. I have an integral SDXC/SDHC single card reader that slots into the back of my fortec star. I guess because it can read both types is why it works.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hope you're right. Did you download the H2Testw software and check the card?

musictalking

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Something In The Air
My Location
london
I saw some of those 64gB fake cards on amazon... the SDHC on the label was the giveaway - that only supports up to 32gB. Lots of negative reviews but, oddly some positive ones... huh? Mine's OK, have written loads of very large mkv files to nearly fill it up and they all play fine, no data loss even after reformatting and starting all over again. But then, its labelled SDXC and is a reasonably good make (sandisk).
You can't trust anyone these days...:-lol