Sir Trever Brookings comments

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S, VU+ Solo2, 1.1m Dish, Moteck SG-2100A DISEQC Motor
My Location
Rochdale
if you havent read what Sir Trever has said recently about the English national side read here (BBC Sport)

i wonder how many of you agree with what he said....

i personally agree whole heartedly with him, but i would have been even more harsh to be honest, i think we havent got a cat in hells chance of winning a major tournament, because we simply dont have players good enough.

Yes we have 1 or 2, but have we got 11 or even 16-23 to fill up a squad?? the answer is simply NO.

some so called lesser nations get through on pure team spirit, something our £140,000 a week prima donnas dont have.

rant over O-no

Salty25

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ Pace v3, and before that analouge 80cm dish with Prima by Pace box pointed at 19.2e (not very imaginative then!)
My Location
Colchester, Essex
If it was a case of only the starting XI, then England would be up there, but beyond 15 or so core players, I think you begin to see a noticable drop in quality.

However, I don't think this in itself is an excuse for failure. Germany have similiar strength-in-depth problems, yet got to the Euro 2008 final, the 2006 WC semis, and the 2002 WC final.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
There has to be consistency in management, chopping and changing every 2 years will not make for a stable environment in which a team can flourish. The last 5 years have seen so many players in the team playing out of position as an experiment. I'm sorry but you do not have that luxury in the international game as the players take too long to learn a new position only playing it every international match.

Salty25

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ Pace v3, and before that analouge 80cm dish with Prima by Pace box pointed at 19.2e (not very imaginative then!)
My Location
Colchester, Essex
I have to agree with you Tops, although I would also argue that there is a need flexibility. However, examples such as when Johnson played on the wide right under Sven leave much to be desired.