Sirius and hotbird with 2 LNBs (80 cm dish ) possible?

mikegk

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm new to the sat technologies, but did manage to set up a cheapy sat kit (bought from Lidl) on Sunday with a dig. reciever for free channels (80 cm dish, Universal LNB 0.6 d:cool:. Managed to tune the dish first to the Hotbird and then retuned it to the Sirius (European DSS - for russian & ukrainian channels, some of them are out of range due to the size of the dish, but that's OK with me). I was wondering whether I could have both satellites on the same dish (80 cm) from 2 LNBs (I have a spare LNB and just need to buy a new fixtures and a switch 2 LNB - 1 receiver)?

Thanks in advance!

PS I reside in Surrey, UK, just outside M25.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
8 degrees should be OK, use Sirius as the main focus, you may find some of the Hotbird signals are on the weak side though.

mikegk

Reaction score
Rolf,

thanks for the reply!

When you say it should be the main focus, doest it mean that I should not change the current direction/position of the dish, just need to direct the second LNB further east, leaving the current LNB/ dish exactly the same?

Thanks again.

closetosoton

More dishes than Sense.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Wavefield T55, 20 LNB's and a whole load of analogue boxes!
My Location
Close to Southampton
mikegk said:
When you say it should be the main focus, doest it mean that I should not change the current direction/position of the dish, just need to direct the second LNB further east, leaving the current LNB/ dish exactly the same?.

That's right. Leave your dish pointer at sirus, then mount a second LNB, to the left of the main (central) one [as you face the dish]. I recently put two lnbs on a 60cm dish for 13E and 19.2E, maybe not as adventurous, the satellites are only 6 degrees apart - but it works... I did make my own bracket... see
http://www.satellites.co.uk/php-bin/forum/showthread.php?t=35396 for details.........

cheers cts

mikegk

Reaction score
closetosoton said:
That's right. Leave your dish pointer at sirus, then mount a second LNB, to the left of the main (central) one [as you face the dish]. I recently put two lnbs on a 60cm dish for 13E and 19.2E, maybe not as adventurous, the satellites are only 6 degrees apart - but it works... I did make my own bracket... see
http://www.satellites.co.uk/php-bin/forum/showthread.php?t=35396 for details.........

cheers cts

Hi Cts,

thanks for the advice, just need to buy a holder for 2 lnbs, shall be sorted by then !

M.

twag42

Reaction score
My Location
Amsterdam,Holland
why not get a triple lnb holder and use the one on the right to pick up thor 1w,you might need to invest in a slighly bigger dish but it is possible.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
There should be a few 'Thor mounts' going cheap right about now... ;)

twag42

Reaction score
My Location
Amsterdam,Holland
yes,but its always nice to think of the future :-)

Jaffer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Samsung A300W with component output
Hotbird & Astra2
My Location
South East England
Its possible! You need to work hard with lots of patience.

mikegk

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

thanks for all your advice. The next question - is it possible to add to that configuration (80 cm dish, 2 lnbs for hotbird and sirius, dish focus on sirius) another LNB for amos. The idea is to get as many russian-ukrainian channels on a tight budget.

Regards,

Misha.

H

Happy-Buddah

You will find that Amos2 is the weaker of all those sats that you mentioned. Amos1 you will not get with that size dish. If you are going for 19E, 13E, 5E, 1W & 4W your best bets are 2 dishes or a motor.

H-B

mikegk

Reaction score
HB,

thanks for the answer. I will stick to the current configuration.

Misha.

Happy-Buddah said:
You will find that Amos2 is the weaker of all those sats that you mentioned. Amos1 you will not get with that size dish. If you are going for 19E, 13E, 5E, 1W & 4W your best bets are 2 dishes or a motor.

H-B