Size matters, my dish dilema

RaiUn0

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020Si+40GB, DiSEqC H-H DarkMotor, Gibertini 1m, Inverto Black Ultra LNB - 42E to 30W.
My Location
Manchester
Hello

I am seriously thinking of putting a motorised system soon. I'd prefer a 1.2 dish but my local council allows up to 90cm, still not bad (but only 45cm, if placed on a chimney).

My biggest obstacle is that I live in a terraced house and the length of the terrace block is almost due south meaning if I mount the dish on the eastern side wall I will not be able to rotate the dish lets say from 13 deg east to 7 deg west. and similarly if the dish is on the west side, i wont be able to rotate to east.

my only other option (without having a second dish) is as far as I can see is the chimney. but there is this 45cm restriction!!
I have easy access to the chimney from the back, a flat roof kitchen, two-step for a small ladder! I'm thinking of putting 90cm dish on the back of the chimneystack!! nearby motorists will hardly notice it but those nuisance elderly ladies living on the top floor of an OAP flat at front of me house will surely raise an eyebrow!

Please give me your thoughts, any experience and encouragements!
Thank you very much, I eagerly await your response

Rai

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The planning restrictions are such that you can have a dish up to the size of 90cm without gaining planning consent, providing it doesn't protrude higher than the highest part of the roof (excluding the chimney), a 45cm dish can be mounted above the highest part of the roof, but must not be higher than the highest part of the chimney.

A 90cm dish can be mounted on the chimney, but only provided that it is not higher than the highest point of the roof.

You can have bigger dishes than these, but they require planning consent, if you are in a consevation area, or live in a listed building, then separate consents are required.

Also look here. http://www.odpm.gov.uk/stellent/groups/odpm_planning/documents/page/odpm_plan_606331.hcsp

RaiUn0

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020Si+40GB, DiSEqC H-H DarkMotor, Gibertini 1m, Inverto Black Ultra LNB - 42E to 30W.
My Location
Manchester
Thanks chief! I feel much better now. :-)
but i'm slightly confused rolfw, it does sound conflicting(?)
my local council states:
"Its Diameter does not exceed 90cm. (45cm. If placed on a chimney)"

sorry to be a pain.. :-p

RaiUn0

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Manchester
sorry.

yes i reread and do understand now.
but the chimney is obviously higher than the roof! so i cannot have 90cm there then.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Why not bake the old ladies a cake, and invite them round ? If you dont know what their thoughts are you may be worrying needlessly.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Also bear in mind that the dish doesn't necessaily need to be on the chimney to see over the roof, a pole mount on the rear wall should be able to give you enough height.

Razor

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Ireland
If you have a back garden, try that, up high on a good pole.

Seen one hidden in a pigeon loft once.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
So they can watch the racing channel I suppose.

Razor

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Ireland
It's true, guy said he could get 40e to 40w and that did him, also he did not have to worry about wind or planing.

RaiUn0

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Manchester
dont have a garden. :-(
will calculate rolfw's suggestion. a pole mount on the wall to see if it can see over the roof.

I need to find out how much vertical elevation the dish need for the arc and the steepness of the roof to figure out the minimum height of the pole. Is this right?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Yes it is, really depends what type of arc you are looking at and what your location is. For me in the South of the UK, my arc, 45 degrees either side of due south, has a lowest elevation of 18 degrees, but the majority of the satellites I look at are 25 degrees or above. so for every 2 metres away from the apex of the roof, I gain just over 1 metre in clearance.