Sizziling/Cracking noise coming from TV

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
A 28" Kneiesel (some entry level Spanish name) makes a sizzling noise every now and then. It sounds like something shorting (almost the stereotyped noise used in films when something electrical is about to catch fire).

It last for about half a second, maybe a bit longer. There seems to be no pattern or cause to it, it does it both in standby and when the set is on, but when it is on the picture is not affected in any way.

Any ideas as to what's causing it?

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
in standby also, then certainly the switch mode power supply, probably insulation failing on transformer, in which case at some point it will suddenly go "bang", then you'll need a new tv.

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
What sort of bang will this be?

A loudish bang with a smoky smell that maybe trips the circuit?

Or a gunshot like noise that sends something flying into the tube, cracking it, the implosion of which, combined with a couple of other connected things, takes out a small area of the Costa del Sol?

In other words, will it be at all dangerous?

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
no, not dangerous, the set's internal fuse will blow (added), just a "pop".

note, i'm only making "best guess", from your description, but don't see what else it could be, if also happening in standby.

there's a very slight possibility it's the degaussing coils varistor/switch, which if it fails will also blow the internal fuse.