Skew problem with Fortecstar LNB FSKUVN and Icecrypt 0.1db single LNB

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
This is the LNB FSKUVN, which Maplins sell with their Passion HD package.

The customer had tried to set up the dish himself,but had problems, so I dropped in to do the final alignment.

With the LNB in the usual Skew position for Astra 28.2E, I was getting abysmal quality readings and a very flat spectrum, so I moved it further around until the spectrum improved, but found I was on the opposite polarity.

Well the picture attached is where I had to put it for perfect skew, have included a red line to show where I would have expected it to be. :)

Edited for additional information
. Also similar applies to the Icecrypt 0.1db single LNB. There is a feint scale on the top of the LNB, but many people will assume that the cable connector should be vertical at the bottom.

Attachments

• skuvn_lnb.jpg
    skuvn_lnb.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 1,213
  • fortecstar_skew_problem.jpg
    fortecstar_skew_problem.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 1,893

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
That is interesting Rolf and I am sure many others will benefit from your post.
I suspect that the designer of the lnb has come of from under a rock and designed it how he/she felt it should be from the electronic perspective but failed to proof their design in a practical test.
The opposite polarity trick I used myself when my lnb began failing many years ago.
It is useful to know but difficult for people to understand why it happens, it took my brain a while to understand it but it is all down to the principle of the phase locked loop pulling in the nearest frequency of that polarity

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Nice one Rolf :)
I bet a few of those problems newbie's have had have actually been down to this maybe :confused

Bit like when I am checking a quatrro at dish location on systems, it faster for me to spin the LNb to check other polarity than change the band on the spectrum , LOl:-rofl2

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, I was using the Satlook NIT, so new I was on the correct satellite by the spectrum display, but a non-spectrum meter using identifier transponders would have given negative or uncertain results. That's why I prefer using the Satlook on most dish setups, as opposed to the Rover ST4.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Out of interest Rolf, if you go to full span mode with ST4, doesn't that show the whole IF spectrum on the particular band you on anyway. I normally look at Horz OR Vert low band for 28e on spec in full span.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
It does, but not very well, the spectrum display on the NIT is very clear.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Yes, I did read a few write ups on the NIT Spec. It looks the business.

It's all about knowing the traces of satellites and how well you can identify them. That's down to experience too as you know :D

Would of been difficult to discover without the professional spectrum.

Nice find anyway :)

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
rolfw said:
This is the LNB FCKUVN, which Maplins sell with their Passion HD package.

Perhaps the designers were not so inept after all just dyslexic :):)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
LOL, I wondered who would notice the unfortunate model name. :)

tommo2

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
motorised/technomate receiver/dish 80cm
My Location
galway/eire
HI ROLFW. What are the advantages of a professional meter compared to the ordinary variety? What is the spectrum?Shine a light on the darkness.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
It's all down to the amount of information available to you.

The cheap swinging needle meter/sat beeper tells you when you are on a satellite, but not which one, or what the quality of the signal is.

The new generation of digital meters will give you various degrees of signal and quality readings, some will give you a satellite identification by comparing three or four unique transponders, or read the satellite information from the datastream.

A meter with a spectrum display, will do all of that, but also show you a physical representation of the spectrum, which can be used to recognise at a glance which satellite you have found.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK

Roly62

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
new
My Location
Miami
Hi:
How i know the north skew in this lnbf(fsku-vn) coss noy have any visible mark.

Thanks in advance

R

Rd100

A bit off topic is that a 90cm dish and was the dish also from maplin just asking as i know some one who is after the 90cm dark gray fortec star,

rolfw said:
This is the LNB FCKUVN, which Maplins sell with their Passion HD package.

The customer had tried to set up the dish himself,but had problems, so I dropped in to do the final alignment.

With the LNB in the usual Skew position for Astra 28.2E, I was getting abysmal quality readings and a very flat spectrum, so I moved it further around until the spectrum improved, but found I was on the opposite polarity.

Well the picture attached is where I had to put it for perfect skew, have included a red line to show where I would have expected it to be. :)

guest poster

registered
Reaction score
I think we have had someone else on DS with that problem with a Fortec /Maplin kit ... struggled for ages trying to just line a dish up .. just changed the LNB and got going all of a sudden. A lot of Fortec stuff seems to er.. fall short .. we tested an Omega and it kept crashing if you scanned something it didn't like... we swapped it over to an existing motor on USALS with exactly the same position and offsets .. and it moved it.. only a bit but enough to knock 20-30% off the signal... not sure if the USALS was actually 100% compatible. Must be the worse stuff to start on for a newby.

:cool::cool::cool::cool:

portly

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Bush freesat hd box, iss 70cm dish,single passion lnb , goodmans GDB15HD freeview box
My Location
heathrow
its amazing how much the skew of an lnb can improve reception,mine went from 50% intensity and 30% quality to 90% and 72% with a few degrees of skew:-worship

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Yes it does make a big difference, hence why they alternate polarities, so as to cause minimal interference from adjacent frequencies.

@ RD100, sorry, missed your question, it was the 60cm version of the dish.

Strat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec HD Passion+
65cm Dish and 'correctly skewed' LNB supplied in Maplin kit.
My Location
Yorkshire
This thread possibly solves my problem also.
I have the same kit (Passion+ HD from Maplin) and possibly because no dish instructions were included this is the first I've heard of LNB skew.
The Sky dishes around my neighbourhood all appear with the connector vertical but if the skew is internal then they would.
I guess I'll have to get the ladder out again tomorrow evening :(

Strat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec HD Passion+
65cm Dish and 'correctly skewed' LNB supplied in Maplin kit.
My Location
Yorkshire
RolfW you are an absolute STAR.

I came home this evening and put some skew on my LNB, went inside and saw 94% quality...WOW. A bit more tweaking and it's up to 98%.

Reset and rescanned and I now have loads of rock solid channels including BBC HD.

It's just like you said (as if I'd doubt you) anti-clockwise as you face the front of the dish.

I am very happy. Please send your bill to.......

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
LOL, glad it helped. :)