sky and european channels

richard74

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky digital
My Location
uk
I currently have a standard sky mini dish and sky digibox but would like to receive european channels..what equipment will i need for this?

is it possible to keep my sky subscribed channels while at the same time also getting access to european satallite tv?

would be grateful for any help or suggestions

thanks

JTA

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM8000HD+DM7000S with PLi image, CCcam, movable dish 0.85 m, very happy indeed
My Location
Belgium
how about a new receiver and a motorized dish or multi-lnb dish ?
your digibox is not equiped to show channels from other satellites ! But there aren't many receivers which are capable of using a Sky card (and keep it up-to-date). A dreambox can do this, but this is not a beginner's choice (in fact it's a linux computer). A standard receiver with a Dragon CAM might also do the trick. Allways keep the digibox at hand in case you need to revive your sky card.

richard74

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky digital
My Location
uk
JTA said:
how about a new receiver and a motorized dish or multi-lnb dish ?
your digibox is not equiped to show channels from other satellites ! But there aren't many receivers which are capable of using a Sky card (and keep it up-to-date). A dreambox can do this, but this is not a beginner's choice (in fact it's a linux computer). A standard receiver with a Dragon CAM might also do the trick. Allways keep the digibox at hand in case you need to revive your sky card.

thanks for your suggestions
will a motorised dish work for both the european channels and sky digital or will i need to keep my sky mini dish too?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Keep the two systems completely separate if possible.

JTA

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM8000HD+DM7000S with PLi image, CCcam, movable dish 0.85 m, very happy indeed
My Location
Belgium
richard74 said:
will a motorised dish work for both the european channels and sky digital or will i need to keep my sky mini dish too?
it's the word 'mini' that's got me worried.
depending on where you live in the UK, I'd advise a 60 to 80 cm dish. If you go motorized, you'll want to receieve as much satellites as possible, so I'd go for 80 cm (or more). I would advice a new dish indeed. Your digibox will work on your motorized system, but only if the dish is pointing at the Astra 2 satellite. You must use your other receiver to point the dish, then power it off, and connect the cable to your skybox.
If this is too much of a hassle, keep the old dish and digibox seperate, as analoguesat suggested.

Alonso14

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Thinking of getting Technomate 1500CI+, 80cm dish
My Location
Lancashire, UK
Hi. I too am interested in keeping my S*y digital and adding european channels. My idea is to remove the minidish, and install a motorised system. Could you please tell me if the following would work: install a motorised dish with a universal quad lnb- run one lead from one port of the lnb to a smart priority switch, connecting a TM 1500CI+ receiver as master, and digibox as slave. Am I right in saying that to use the digibox at 28.2 E, I would point the dish in this direction via the TM receiver, and then power the TM receiver off? The reason I say a universal "quad" lnb is for if I decide to upgrade my digibox to a S*kyplus box.

Thanks

twag42

Reaction score
My Location
Amsterdam,Holland
thats how i would do it alonso,using the skybox as a decoder for the astra2 channels.and the topfield to drive the dish!!

TWAG