Sky (and other pay TV subscribers) face higher fines for TV licence evasion

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S, VU+ Solo2, 1.1m Dish, Moteck SG-2100A DISEQC Motor
My Location
Rochdale
I totally disagree with the TV license as a whole.

Imagine NOT having a Sky dish or subscription.... but still having to pay Sky £145 to use your TV for other things.
Sounds ridiculous.... but that's exactly what the BBC do.

i have a TV license, but i never watch BBC channels or listen to BBC radio... quite frankly BBC programmes have been poor for 20 years.

I have the full sky package, a years subs to Amazon Prime and pay Netflix £7.50 a month..... so because technically i CAN receive BBC channels i have to pay for them :/

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
@davemurgtroyd

I couldn't agree more.

People continue (understandably, to an extent) to conflate being obliged to have a TV Licence with whether or not they avail themselves of the BBC.

The undeniable fact that the funds raised help finance Auntie is, in the end, no more relevant than the fact that other Taxes are raised on specific grounds, yet the revenue goes into a big pot that might ultimately finance something else entirely. It's a TV Licence, not a BBC Licence., so the obligation to pay exists regardless of which Channels one does, or does not, watch.

Probably a bigger scandal is that so many people are subliminally brainwashed by Sky into believing they can't actually get the BBC and many other Channels via Satellite without having a Subscription.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
ABout time the licence was scrapped & 20quid a month put on the electricity bill. Zero evasion then.

A

Archive7

We finally got the TV license here scrapped this year. They waited until I am eligible for free license on account of my age.
This doesn't come without infringement on free speech, as there is going to be more control on the content by the government.
But I would gladly pay the UK TV license if they give me the chance to watch all the channels that you guys get for free.
If the BBC wants to make money, it should provide IPTV Live channels subscription worldwide (NO GEO Restrictions)

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
If the BBC wants to make money, it should provide IPTV Live channels subscription worldwide (NO GEO Restrictions)

The BBC is terrified of going down any pay tv route - The iplayer pay trial for foreigners was scrapped about 6 months ago. They know if it takes off they will be forced down the pay route by a Conservative government.

A

Archive7

The BBC is terrified of going down any pay tv route - The iplayer pay trial for foreigners was scrapped about 6 months ago. They know if it takes off they will be forced down the pay route by a Conservative government.
I don't understand why. Please explain.
Why do they chase BBC TV License evaders, drag them into courts and heavy fines, waste millions on manpower resources when they can make lots of money going the Pay TV route?
Before the license scrapping here, lawyers made a fortune harassing people who have a TV set and didn't pay, and many families had thugs come into their homes, confiscated anything of value like electrical appliances or furniture as a payment.