Geoff34

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
pace sky digibox
standard sky dish
My Location
Manchester
Hi,
This has probably been asked before, but I can't find it, so sorry if I'm repeating a FAQ!
I have the standard SKY setup, with small black dish and PACE digibox - and have only ever been able to receive SKY channels. I want to be able to continue receiving these (plus the Channels I pay for with a card, like SKY SPORTS) but I also want to be able receive Spice Platinum (after having been screwed by Television X:-bash ).
What is the most affordable, hassle-free way of doing this?
Thanks.

Geoff34

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
pace sky digibox
standard sky dish
My Location
Manchester
Is this some kind of secret club, where only a select few can enjoy the adult channels from the continent? Why doesn't anyone reply to me? Is the question too easy tobother with, or too difficult? Please help, I'm desparate for information!!!!!:(

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Dont be so impatient. Its been less than 24 hours since you posted the original question. Wait a week. If you dont get an answer in that time, then you can consider asking again.

However some info for you. We will provide provide info so YOU can go and track down more info for your circumstances.. WE are not going to do all your research for you.

You are looking at a dish pointing at 13E, (you can get multi lnb setups so you can keep a seperate 28E lnb if you want this - go and look at the multi sat section for details.)

Marts

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
90 cm dish + two LNB 13/19 E
90 cm dish + one LNB 30 W
Humax 5400 .. Oh and cable for Mrs Marts (smilie here)
My Location
Gozo - Malta
Geoff34 said:
Is this some kind of secret club, where only a select few can enjoy the adult channels from the continent? Why doesn't anyone reply to me? Is the question too easy tobother with, or too difficult? Please help, I'm desparate for information!!!!!:(

Nothing select here ole chap. It's all self help. Meaning? members asking / advising others. It's what most boards are about Geoff, and thanks go to the owners of such boards for allowing this :-beer

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
The easiest way is ...... you know what i'm going to say about subs etc.
However, you could get a PCI card for your PC or a patchable reciever both for well under £100.

What you don't get with unorthadox methods is reliability.
But I guess this doesn't apply in your case.

You need to be a bit more patient when waiting for replies, some people take a well earned rest at weekends ;)

L.:)

Geoff34

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
pace sky digibox
standard sky dish
My Location
Manchester
OK, I get the message! A thousands apologies and quite obviously I'm getting a little frustrated at my lack of progress.
So, I think I will need a new dish, receiver and then a Spice Platinum subscription. I'm also assuming now that the cheapest solution is to get a dish that has 2 LNBs (pointing to Astra and Hotbird) and a receiver that can cope with both. Is this possible?
Thanks.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Geoff34 said:
and a receiver that can cope with both. Is this possible?
Thanks.

You will have to keep your S*y box for that service and add another for Spice.

If you choose a second receiver that can be patched or programmed - like a Dreambox - you can receive the Spice channel off Hotbird now without any additional card or CAM.

As with everything in the field this could change anytime - the only sure way would be to subscribe.

Geoff34

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
pace sky digibox
standard sky dish
My Location
Manchester
gameboy said:
You will have to keep your S*y box for that service and add another for Spice.

OK. So it's not possible to have one receiver that can receive 2 satellites. Presumably then, it's fine to have 2 boxes sitting on top of each other. Would it work better to have one box in another room altogether, with both receivers working off the same dish? And do I need a new dish, or can I add an LNB to my existing standard SKY dish?

And finally, what's the capital of Guatamala?
Thanks, I appreciate all the help I can get!!

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Geoff34 said:
OK. So it's not possible to have one receiver that can receive 2 satellites. Presumably then, it's fine to have 2 boxes sitting on top of each other. Would it work better to have one box in another room altogether, with both receivers working off the same dish? And do I need a new dish, or can I add an LNB to my existing standard SKY dish?

And finally, what's the capital of Guatamala?
Thanks, I appreciate all the help I can get!!

Yes it is - most digital receivers have this capability. The problem is with the Sky channels. You need a Sky box to decrypt them. There are ways round it with Dragon cams - you still need a legit card though, but its not a solution for someone fairly new to the hobby.

You will need a replacement or second dish if you have a standard sky oval dish.

Geoff34

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
pace sky digibox
standard sky dish
My Location
Manchester
Analoguesat said:
Guatamala City :D

Can you sugest which dish I would need that would have 2 LNBs on it (the smallest, blackest, cheapest option!)?
Or would a motorised version be better?
Or should I add a motor to the one I have?

Or should I just give up and go buy a dirty DVD!?

Thanks again.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
80cm dish with the main focus on 13E.

Something like this:

h**p/www.satcure.co.uk/tech/page9.htm

Geoff34

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
pace sky digibox
standard sky dish
My Location
Manchester
Analoguesat said:
Before you spend money buying a Spice subs - read this report (Hustler TV) which suggests its going to disappear in its present form in the near future:

http://drhans.jinak.cz/news/index.php

So I won't by a subs. yet. I'm told there are other hardcore mature content channels available on Hotbird - is this true?

Also, Eutelsat have given me a link to a package that seems to solve all my problems in one (except the overworked, underpaid thing!). What do you guys think of it?

http://www.sateuropa.co.uk/product_overview.asp?id=918&catid=1&subcat=14.

Thanks.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
You wont get the Sky pay channels on that Technomate, but it seems a competant enough kit. You might want to buy a dual or quad lnb for 28E as well so you can have run a cable off the 28E lnb into both receivers.

Geoff34

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
pace sky digibox
standard sky dish
My Location
Manchester
Analoguesat said:
You wont get the Sky pay channels on that Technomate, but it seems a competant enough kit. You might want to buy a dual or quad lnb for 28E as well so you can have run a cable off the 28E lnb into both receivers.

Can't I just use my existing SKY card to get the SKY pay channels? I thought if you had a dish capable of pointing at both satellites, and a receiver capable of receiving both, then if you subscribed to channels on either you would be quids in. Is this not true?
Thanks.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
The Technomate is not capable of decoding Sky pay channels.

There is a solution involving Dragon CAMS and a legit sky card, BUT theres no guarantee how long it will work for , ands is fairly complicated & not for a beginner to contemplate.

Geoff34

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
pace sky digibox
standard sky dish
My Location
Manchester
Analoguesat said:
The Technomate is not capable of decoding Sky pay channels.

There is a solution involving Dragon CAMS and a legit sky card, BUT theres no guarantee how long it will work for , ands is fairly complicated & not for a beginner to contemplate.

Just when I think I've found the answer....!
OK, then maybe this is what I need to do:
Leave my SKY setup with the PACE receiver in place to ensure continued viewing of the SKY pay channels to the living room, but get a dish like the one in the link that can access both satellites, and a new receiver for upstairs viewing that can handle the hotbird stuff. Does that sound right? And if it does, which dish and which receiver?
Thanks.
(and what's the square root of 1 squared?)

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
The Raven Gemini 90 is a good dish, you may consider the Technomate 1500 CI as an alternative reciever and you could make the 28E LNB a dual output one so you get the 28E FTA stuff upstairs.

L. :)

(what's the square root of -1) :D