Sky box stuck on standby?

Keechy

Reaction score
Hi the other day my sky box froze on a channel, so i switched it of at the wall i waited about 2 minutes and turned it back on the red comes on, but when i go and press the standby button on the remote or on the front of the digi box it doesn't work. I have rung up sky and they told me to check my aerial connections and the other connections at the back. Also they told me to try and download new software to the box by switching it off and holding back up and turning it back on this didn't work either. So they said it would be £65 to get it repaired, but i was wondering if anyone could tell me how to fix this problem. Thanx

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
A few more details about the make and model of the box would be helpful Keechy.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
"Hello, is that Sky?"

"Yes sir, this is the Sky Customer Helpline"

"I can't get my digibox out of standby"

"You'll have to perform a software download"

"But I can't get my digibox out of standby"

"We can repair it for a £65 service charge"

"And will that definitely fix it?"

"I have no idea sir, I'm just reading what is says on my laminated 'Customer Response' card"

"This is ridiculous! Are you a qualified service engineer?"

"Maybe I can interest you in Sky + sir?"

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
BGonaSTICK said:
"Maybe I can interest you in Sky + sir?"

You must have access to the Sky training manual....

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
gameboy said:
You must have access to the Sky training manual....
He wrote it on the back of a postage stamp.

reedie1

Reaction score
Keechy said:
Hi the other day my sky box froze on a channel, so i switched it of at the wall i waited about 2 minutes and turned it back on the red comes on, but when i go and press the standby button on the remote or on the front of the digi box it doesn't work. I have rung up sky and they told me to check my aerial connections and the other connections at the back. Also they told me to try and download new software to the box by switching it off and holding back up and turning it back on this didn't work either. So they said it would be £65 to get it repaired, but i was wondering if anyone could tell me how to fix this problem. Thanx

My Amstrad is stuck on standby too, I am guessing that's there's a glitch in the latest software update. trying a forced re-load now - bit worried though, it estimates 10 minutes, taken an hour so far. Not quite sure what to do with it.

flyinhaggis

Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
My Location
Scotland
if yer download takes more than 20 mins smash the box its fugged but sometimes i think £65 is cheap for a re-conditioned box from sky mwhahahahaha aye right if you ask for a new digibox they can give you it if whoever you speak to on the phone has access to stock allocation on thier log in id (mostly team leaders) and if you push them hard enough and are nice enough they will give you one if not buy one from e-bay for £20 ;)