Sky+ Box with only 1 dish antenna

Mombos

Reaction score
Hello All

We have had sky+ for a while now, we also have a extra box in the bedroom upstairs costing us god knows how much every month,

i recently brought another sky+ box so we can have it upstairs aswell as downstairs, i spoke to sky and they said the box will work,
although i didnt realise that the sky+ box has 2dish antenna inputs,

our box upstairs only has one, is there a spliter i can buy that will split the one cable into 2, so i can have both inputs used and use the sky+ box upstairs the way it is meant to be used.

Thanks in advance

Rob

Mombos

Reaction score
Ok

i have just spoken to a guy at SKY, who tells me it will work ok with just 1 antenna but i wont be able to dual record or anything,
he told me i need another LNB for the 2nd signal for the sky+ box, are these self fittable because i dont really want to pay sky to come out and fit it they will probably charge me a fortune.

if anyone can offer any advice on this it would be greatly apreciated,

cheers

Leee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ v2 (120Gb); DM7020Si*motorised; PC/S2-3200
My Location
47°N/8°E/490m
replacing LNB should be straightforwards; more time-consuming would be the second cable run....

where's your dish located? What route does the existing cable take to the box?

Mombos

Reaction score
distance from the dish to the box in the bedroom is about 3/4metres - it just literaly just next to the room the box is located in, they drilled straite through the side wall to the dish, so i take it wouldnt be to hard to drill another hole for another cable,

how much would sky charge for this just out of interest?

cheers

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If you already have a Sky+ and standard digibox running, then you must have a quad LNB already, this being the case, all you need to do is run the extra cable and enlarge the hole in the wall to accommodate a second cable. Most installers would probably charge around £45 for this, but if you have a drill it is pretty easy to do yourself. :)

Mombos

Reaction score
rolfw said:
If you already have a Sky+ and standard digibox running, then you must have a quad LNB already, this being the case, all you need to do is run the extra cable and enlarge the hole in the wall to accommodate a second cable. Most installers would probably charge around £45 for this, but if you have a drill it is pretty easy to do yourself. :)

is it just a case of plugging the new cable into the bottom of the LNB? i might have a go if its that easy, will there be a spare port to plug the wire into? i had a quick look i can see 3 cables coming from the bottom of it currently.

cheers

Rob

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Yes, that's right. 2 per box. Waterproof your connection(s) properly!

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
BGonaSTICK said:
Yes, that's right. 2 per box. Waterproof your connection(s) properly!
Use the proper self amalgamating tape not electrical insulation tape

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Most of the newer quad LNBs either have rubber gaiters or a slide down plastic rain screen, so the water proofing is easy as well. :)

If it is the rubber gaiter type, make sure that you do not move the dish whilst pushing it on.