Sky button/Scart

kyliesat

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a Toshiba television and Amstrad Digibox, it is connected to the television via scart.

When I press the 'Sky' button on the remote the picture always used to become a bit dull, but would go back to a sharp clear colourful picture if I press the 'TV' button.

Recently though the difference has become more noticable when pressing 'sky' the picture has a green tint, but is still perfect when I press 'TV'.

Its not a huge problem I know, just means that I have to not point the remote at digibox when I switch it into sky mode.

Any ideas would be appreciated though!

Thanks.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Sounds like you are operating in RGB mode and the TV doesn't like it. If you go into services/system setup/picture and toggle RGB to PAL Composite, that should stop the picture changes.

methos_de

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace Ver.3 SKY+ box
1,20m Dish
Quad Invacom 0, 3db LNB

P4 3,4 ghz
1024mb RAM
Geforce 256mb 6800 Ultra
My Location
Sunny old Bristol
rolfw said:
Sounds like you are operating in RGB mode and the TV doesn't like it. If you go into services/system setup/picture and toggle RGB to PAL Composite, that should stop the picture changes.

Would think thats the problem too. I have a similar problem. On my TV I have to designate whether the input signal is RGB or Composite Video. I watch SKY in RGB as the picture is by far better. When I press the TV button on my SKY remote the picture disappears and all I have is sound. Once I press the SKY button again the picture is back. Anyone know what the sense is in turning off the RGB output once you press the TV button? It happens with both my SKY and SKY+ boxes.

Methos.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
With some TVs this is necessary, as otherwise the TV will not switch to a normal channel.

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
@ kyliesat,

Plain and simple: what you are experiencing is the difference between (nasty) composite and RGB.

In this instance: pressing 'SKY' = RGB, pressing 'TV' = Composite.

RGB appears duller - but, it isn't (sic). Besides, and in MHO, RGB is much healthier for your TV than Composite - and I'll put my money on your TV tube lasting longer if you set your box to the middle contrast setting and continue to view in RGB :)

Its one of those asthetic things. If you prefer Composite, or worse, the RF output from the box looped through a couple of VCR's and a record deck - Rolf's suggestion is right up your street.

If you are a complete snob, like me, who can only work with the digibox's menus in RGB - try wiggling or replacing your SCART cable. I have the same problem; only because I keep sharing three cables over four devices and sometimes things get a bit loose :-)

Odd, but true, that when one of the component colours (usually blue) goes - I't usually takes a while to work out that its gone :rolleyes:

Have Fun,

Mark.

kyliesat

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

Rolfw you were right it, your solution did work.

But I also agree with mljgmljg , RGB is much better picture on my tv when it works properly. Perhaps I'll have to try some better scart leads!

Thanks, Phil

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
There are some TVs that do not like the RGB signal, yours may be one of them, is it an older model?

I agree with Mark about RGB, I have all of my units setup with RGB and appreciate the difference, but of course, if you can't get it to work properly, then a composite picture is better than nothing. :)

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
rolfw said:
There are some TVs that do not like the RGB signal, yours may be one of them, is it an older model?

On some TVs with multiple scart sockets not all of them understand RGB. I seem to remember that on Philips' TVs that they colour coded the RGB socket blue (or maybe the other way round). You sometimes find that understands RGB while the other one understands S-VHS.

Try another scart socket and see if it's the same.

You could also RTFM as well....

PaulR

kyliesat

Reaction score
rolfw said:

I agree with Mark about RGB, I have all of my units setup with RGB and appreciate the difference, but of course, if you can't get it to work properly, then a composite picture is better than nothing. :)

Its a Toshiba 3787DB.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Just had a look at some of the reviews on that model Phil, given that there are 7 million Sky subscribers in the UK, I find it strange that none of the reviews mention what the three scarts are for, merely that there are three and do not mention RGB or composite scart performance at all, only analogue off air picture quality.

Given that it is a relatively new model, it should certainly operate in RGB mode, but as said earlier, it may be in only one socket and you may need to designate in the TV's menu.