Sky+ Cabling

iwaneds

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+
An independent installer is installing sky+ for me next week, however I have the following problem: When the cable was installed from a faceplate in the lounge into the loft, the spark forgot to label each one. Is there an easy way to identify each cable before he gets there (e.g. by passing a current to it and testing with a multimeter), or is it a case of 'trial and error' when the installer arrives?

Any suggestions would be gratefully received

w hole

Reaction score
My Location
uk
Hello Iwan

Assuming you have two or more coaxial cables starting in the loft and ending on wall plates in the lounge.

You could short one of the outlets in the lounge by putting a piece of wire beetween the inner and outer connectors, then go to the loft and try to pass a small current through each cable.

The one which returns the current to you is the one you shorted.

Hope this makes sense - if not come back.

Regards

W. Hole:-snowman

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
If you don't have a multimeter.

Get a battery (the small rectangular ones with the + and - at the top) and connect the centre core of the coaxial cable to one end and the copper braid to the other.

Use a torch bulb at the other end and the wire that lights the bulb is identified.

But I'm sure the S*y engineer will do it in seconds for you.