Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
90cm Fortec Star Dish
1.2mtr Channelmaster Dish
Manhattan Plaza 3300 Receiver
My Location
Neath, South Wales. UK
Helllo Everyone,
Not sure if this is the right place to post this but i have a slight problem. I have not subscribed to sky for about a year and a half now but i was using the sky card for the free to air channels and also for my bt sport subscription.
Unfortunately my receiver has started to pack up and is not working very well. A friend of mine had a spare sky receiver and so gave it to me. ive put my sky card in it and everything works except BT Sport. A message comes up on the bt sport channel saying wrong card.
ive phoned bt sport and they say they cannot send a signal to the card as its not paired. Surely sky will not pair my card to a new receiver as i dont subscribe to them anymore. so at present i have a bt sport subscription and nothing to watch it on. Any ideas

smoggy07

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky minidish and Sky + HD 250gig Anytime+ box with full ish appart from sports and movies, Dreambox DM500s clone (Pli Jade3 max var F/W), Motorised 1.1Meter Dish
My Location
middlesbrough, teesside, northeast coast, uk
BT can pair the cards as far as I'm aware, did you call just before they closed for the night?

Has the box your friend gave you got the original card used in it?

wa1es_4_ever

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
90cm Fortec Star Dish
My Location
Neath, South Wales. UK
I dont know if the card that came with the receiver is the original card. Dont know how i could find out either. I phoned BT Sport yesterday afternoon and they say that its a sky problem. Its annoying as i dont want to subscribe to sky but i like BT Sport and have no other means to receive it

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Try again - you will get a different operative. Just say your receiver has packed up so you have bought a second hand one. Dont mention the other card - thats confusing things.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
^^^^^^^^^

Just the ticket.

wa1es_4_ever

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
90cm Fortec Star Dish
My Location
Neath, South Wales. UK
Thank You everyone a member of the BT live chat has managed to pair the card to the new receiver. I must say that they are so much more helpful than Sky in my opinion. Thanks again everybody

davemurgtroyd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Oxford
Why does everyone expect Sky to pair cards for cancelled subscribers - they have absolutely no need to do so for non subscribers (although they may do so for genuine paid FreesatFromSky customers). It is up to whoever a subscription is being paid to sort out any problems with cards and pairing - they are being paid by the subscriber to do so (not Sky) and probably try to avoid doing so because they have to pay to sort out problems.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
I don't think everyone does expect BSkyB to pair such cards: The OP approached BT in the first instance and it was BT's Operative who told him to contact BSkyB.

The replies here universally suggested he contact BT once more.

A nonymous

Reaction score
The reply he got from BT is not suprising at all. I made the fatal mistake of going to BT after being with VM for many years. I've dealt with a lot of companies in this field in the past and BT have to be the worst one out of the lot of them.

Their products (when they work as they should) are very good, but as with most companies these days customer loyalty doesn't come into it when the customer has issues. You have call centre staff in some far flung off place in Asia who themselves only have a basic grasp of the English language who are taught to read everything off scripts. As soon as you make them deviate from those scripts they put you on hold and then ultimately cut you off.

As soon as my minimum subscription is up i will be cancelling everything i have with BT.

Nano

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Yes, BT is just an awful company to deal with. Absolutely no communication with the customer on anything. I don't have a choice but have my phone line with BT but it wasn't much better when I was with VM (when I could get it). VM is, in my experience, far less reliable in terms of service availability than BT, so which is a lesser of two evils? You decide.

A nonymous

Reaction score
Can't say i ever had any major issues with Virmin. I just got a bit narked when i was going to have a second Tivo box and they were going to charge me £50 for one of their monkeys to screw an F connector onto the back of the box. They refused to back down so i told em to take the lot out.

I do know one thing though, who ever gets the house after me will have to wait of they want VM cable. they will have to get a crew to do a full cable re-pull as i have removed all VM cables from within the boundaries of my property, including the main feed coming in :-lmao

The nearest pit is about 40m away, For the sake of £50 they lost a customer and most of their cabling :D