Sky card

E

ersc

Hi everyone,

I've just setup a Pace digibox with sky card in the Netherlands. I've bought it via e-bay. I now have the following problem with which I hope one of you can help me.
I can receive all FTA shopping channels, and others. However, there seems to be a problem with the Sky card that came with the box preventing me from watching BBC/ITV/Channel 4 etc.

The error message I get when pressing 'Services' followed by either 'Favorite channels' or 'Parental Control' is :

There is a problem with your viewing card
Ensure your Sky viewing card is correctly inserted
Call your broadcaster for assistance.

This is what I've tried so far without luck after searching on the Net:

1) Swap the card round in all possible ways
2) Leave the card in for 24 hr
3) Forced a new software download
4) Performed a new installation via 'installer setup' screen (services 4-0-1-6). After scanning it also tells me there is a problem with the card.
5) I've added some channels directly (e.g. BBC1-Wales) but here I get the same error message .

When I call up the 'System Details' menu it says that the 'Viewing card number' is 'No Card' The other details look OK.

Does the 'No card' message mean the card or reader it is not working at all or just that it is not matched to this digibox as I understand needs to be the case.
The problem is that I can not ring SKY directly (and have no contacts either) as they will not (re)authorize a card when a call is received from abroad.

I hope someone can help

Kind regards

Erwin

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Well Erwin,

If it's not recognising the card it must be either the reader, the card or the way it's inserted. The card in the digibox is inserted with the chip down and with the arrow pointing inward, so there's not much you can do wrong there.

If it were simply a case of the card needing authorising, i would think that you would be getting different messages.

If it's an out of date Sky card it may be that it's been switched off, but I thing that the messages are different in those circumstances.

If you happen to know someone else with a card, try theirs and see if you can get something like Sky one, or at least a not authorised message.

Rolf

zansi

Moderator & General Globetrotter
Reaction score
Website
digiboxes.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
Openbox F3 85cm dish H to H motor, Dell Vostro Laptop
My Location
North West UK
Assuming that you have the Sky card inserted in the lower slot (marked Sky Viewing Card)With the gold chip facing down in towards the box.

In the system details menu on card details it should display the number printed on your card.

If this is not the case, sounds like a card reader problem try taking the case off and examining the reader for physical damage.

zansi

E

ersc

Hi Rolf, Zansi,

The card is definately in OK in the right slot. I'll open the box tonight and see if can see any damage to the card reader (box was shipped by post) The message 'no Card' is a bit worring. If I take it out it asks me to insert it but it doesn't care which way round. It always comes up with the error message I mentioned (02 by the way)
I'll keep you posted

Erwin

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
Dear Erwin,

Find an Irish Bar in the Netherlands with SKY (not too difficult) and politely ask them if you could try your SKY box with their card. If your friendly with an owner already ask to borrow their card for the evening (to try in your own installation). I prefer the first option as it could eliminate a number possible problems; whilst, simultaneously allowing for more drinking, sorry, thinking time.

Either way, that "no card" reading should turn into a card number (albeit; you won't be able to use their card).

If that does happen you will, at least, ruled out the card reader being at fault. Now, all you need to do is find a friend in the UK :-)

Have Fun,

Mark.

E

ersc

Hi Guys,

first of all thanks for all your helpfull comments. I spent a good half an hour fiddling with the card /reader and believe it or not there it was, the card number on my setup menu. I'm not sure if its the contacts on the card (they do show some signs of wear and tear) or the card reader. It is currently stuck in there with a credit card wedged in half way. Not pretty but effective. I don't think the shipping of the receiver in a padded envelope by mail with inserted card did the connection any good at all.....

Anyway, I did a new setup which now found all missing channels. Not decoded yet but I had already read on this forum that that can take some time after a unit has been switched off for sometime (b.t.w. after what 'off' time do the BBC channels switch off?) I left the machine on overnight on BBC 1 and YES, this morning BBC1,2 CH4,5 were working. No ITV yet. Maybe tonight.
Or can it be that the ITV region (London) that was found during setup is not the one enabled on my card? If so can anybody tell me how I change to the enabled region (don't know which one it is).

Thanks again for your all your help (and visiting an Irish Pub is always a good idea, even if I don't need a card anymore :-)

Bye for now

Erwin

w hole

Reaction score
My Location
uk
Hello Erwin

If you card is OK you should get all/any of the ITV regional services, they are not - yet - restricted except via Videogard for FTV.

ITV2 however is only available via satellite as part of a Sky package.

Good luck

W Hole

ProDave

Reaction score
Website
homepages.tesco.net
My Satellite Setup
Non subscription Sky digibox, Alanlogue Astra1, Digital Hotbird, all on 1 fixed dish with 3 LNB's
My Location
Scottish Highlands
ITV 1 on 103 displays the local ITV region for whatever postcode the card is registered to.

If you want to view the others, you need to add them using Add Channels (services, 4, 4) using the following frequencies:

10.832H (SR: 22.0 FEC: 5/6)
10.891H (SR: 22.0 FEC: 5/6)
10.906V (SR: 22.0 FEC: 5/6)

You then select them to view using Services 6 (Other channels)

E

ersc

Hi there,

Got home tonight and found ITV London working as well. Also added the other ITV1 's. All looks Ok.
Had to do without English channels for too long.

Thanx again

If any of you needs some info on how to receive loads of mainland European channels (including English/American films with subtitels and/or original sound) let me know.

One happy Sat-watcher

Erwin

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
Dear Ersc,

Only wish my Dutch was as good as your english ;-)

Have Fun - with UK TV :-)

Mark.

methos_de

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace Ver.3 SKY+ box
1,20m Dish
Quad Invacom 0, 3db LNB

P4 3,4 ghz
1024mb RAM
Geforce 256mb 6800 Ultra
My Location
Sunny old Bristol
Hi ersc, of course I/we want to know how to receive this tv stuff. If you cant post it in this forum methos@t-online.de is always a good email address to post such info to ;-)
Methos.

E

ersc

This website explains all. People have very good experiences with a Hyundai 1000 IR receiver. A Humax 5400 is also possible, some peaople even think it's better (Not the newer 5400Z though, unless the dealer is very 'helpfull' with patching it) The others are D.I.Y. patchable via an RS232 interface. A MasterA-II programmer with 'fun-card' and ChipCat 2.3 S/W with so called '5in1files' from the NET make it all work (search for satfiles or duckfiles).

B.t.w the channels are all on the Astra 19.2 and Hotbird 13.3. With a large disk (1m) and three LNB's you can combine them with the UK channels (28.2). No need for a motorized system. It does take some fiddeling though.

Have Fun

Erwin
www.jali.nl/satelliet/satinfo/index.html