Sky Cards in Dreambox

christianF

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox DM 7020
with the following feeds: Eurobird (28.2°E), Astra (19.2°E), Hot Bird (13.0E), Sirius (5.0°E), Thor (1.0°W)
My Location
Norway
I've a couple of years old Sky box (model number BSKYB 2600 C1). The card that was delivered with it works fine in my Dreambox DM7020.

A friend wants the same setup, but I just want to make sure that the new card he'll get is the same as mine, or otherwise compatible with a Dreambox?

Also, is there any difference to which card and tuner you'll get if you're in England, North Ireland and Republic of Ireland?

Thanks for any help :)

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
An activated $ky card will work in a Dreambox.

But how do we know what $ky card you have or you friend will get?

Is it a blue card with a yellow house on it? Or a subscription card?

christianF

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox DM 7020
with the following feeds: Eurobird (28.2°E), Astra (19.2°E), Hot Bird (13.0E), Sirius (5.0°E), Thor (1.0°W)
My Location
Norway
Ah, I should have mentioned that I have a blue card with a yellow house.

How does the activation process work? Is it just that he has to use the card in a normal Sky tuner before he tries in the Dreambox?

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
If you're buying a brand new card from $ky it will need activating in a $ky box.

If it is an old card (but has been activated) a Dreambox will keep it alive.

There are many posts on this topic in the Dreambox section. If you have specific Dreambox questions please post them there.

JTA

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM8000HD+DM7000S with PLi image, CCcam, movable dish 0.85 m, very happy indeed
My Location
Belgium
let me just add that my "dealer" has informed me that Sky is going to swap cards later this year, and that he'll be sending out the new cards as soon as he gets them.
I just hope that the new cards will work as well on the dreambox as my current card is performing....... !
and the reason you need is sky box for activation is that the card is linked to the box which was used to activate that card. If you try to activate another card on the same box, the first card becomes invalidated (it will no longer receive any updates, and will be reduced to an FTV card in time). That's why you can't buy a Sky (subscription) card without a sky receiver. only FTV cards can be bought without a receiver, if activated before.

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
-JTA Does your dealer have a source for the information about cards being switched this year? It's a very expensive process for Sky to go through given the millions of cards on current subscriptions.

There are plenty of dealers who do card-only Sky package deals for people who already have a sky box, so people don't necessarily need to buy both the box and card from the dealer (but many dealers would want that as they often charge a fortune for box). The card just needs activated in their existing box, a call to the dealer to say it's in the box, then dealer callers sky and all is well.

-christianF - the tuners in boxes form GB, NI and ROI are the same, there may be differences in sensitivity among models/batches, but that's not directly related to what country they were bought in.

JTA

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM8000HD+DM7000S with PLi image, CCcam, movable dish 0.85 m, very happy indeed
My Location
Belgium
no source - this is the mail I received last week - note the last sentence :

Message sent to you follows:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discontinued from the shopping cart from March 1st, Its possible sky will change their cards next year, Jan'08, thus FreeSat cards may become useless, hence I have decided to stop selling FreeSat cards, as of March 1st.

Customers subscribing to sky, all replacements will be sent out as before Free Of Charge.

so it's not just the FreeSat cards but the subscription cards as well - but he did use the term "possible" - I suppose it's a case of 'wait and see what happens' ?

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Possible, yeah.

It's also "possible" that I could be the next Prime Minister.

I certainly haven't heard of this anywhere else. I think it's just scaremongering.

bob-1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 7025+s-t
Raven gemini 70 ,13e,19e,28e
85cm Transparent dish Moteck SG2100 and inverto black ultra lnb.
My Location
UK,Sheffield
Freesat cards are not the same as the sub cards ,i know someone that as had a freesat card for years and its still working.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
bob-1 said:
Freesat cards are not the same as the sub cards ,i know someone that as had a freesat card for years and its still working.
It's true that they're not the same while you're paying for your $ly subscription - you obviously get whatever package of channels you are paying for on top of the FTA and FTV channels.

However, when the subscription is stopped the ex-subscription card is effectively the same as the Freesat card as they both allow you to decode C4, $ly 3 and the Five package as well as setting the default region for the BBC1/2 and ITV1 channels.

There are subtle differences in the way that the cards are treated when you enter a premium channel number and they have a different phone number on the back but they aren't important. Both cards can be kept alive (for FTV channels) indefinitely (or until the next card change) by simply being kept in a $ly Digibox or Dreambox.

erukus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
a sky mini dish + a Dreambox 600S with Gemini- 430 and CCcam 2.0.8
My Location
Cornwall UK
hi

i am using a sky card in a dreambox 600 and working fine i forgot to pay my bill and they turned off channels do i need to put sky card back in sky box to recive channels as they have been turned on now that i have paid my bill or can it recieve reactivation through dreambox

Thanks

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
It should reactivate in the dreambox, but if it doesn't, you may need to pop it back in the digibox and call them again, saying that it hasn't reactivated.

erukus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
a sky mini dish + a Dreambox 600S with Gemini- 430 and CCcam 2.0.8
My Location
Cornwall UK
thanks it has reactivated in the dreambox

Nick -D-vB

Reaction score
Hi all,

can anyone confirm which Dreambox emus support UK BSkyB EMMs

(not activation just enough to keep the card alive)

So far I have: gbox, cccam, newcs and betad, are there any I've missed?

Also, did anyone ever do an i386 compiled version of the newcamd 5.28 hack?

I've been searching for weeks but I'm buggered if I can find it! 8(

Thanks in advance,

Cheers,
Nick

dasteelman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
85cm transparent dish
85cm Penta Dish (motored)
Black Ultra LNB
VU+Solo
VU+Duo
technomate 9100 linux
Quali-TV (4:2:2)
Eaglebox
UK nds card
My Location
Tyne and Wear
cccam works a treat

Nick -D-vB

Reaction score
Thanks, cccam seems to be the preferred solution these days

but I'm trying to get a list of all the alternatives,

are there any others I've not mentioned above?