Sky Digibox and PC Cards

withnail

Reaction score
Novice asks:

Is there any way of getting sky on my PC if I have a dish?

cjgall

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Topfield 4000PVR with Aston 1.07 CAM, (canaldigitaal), dragoncam,
Sky digibox,
Bush HD Freesat,
Visiosat trisat looking at Astra1, Astra2 and Hotbird.
My Location
Netherlands & Central Brittany
There are no Sky videoguard compatible PC cards. You can however capture from a sky box using a capture card that has a composite connector or and stereo inputs or a PC TV tuner card.

Any PC sateliite card will pick up the FTA channels such as the BBC on sky though.

peter in the bus

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
KENT
Hi,guys. Just wondering if you could recomend a decent USB TV tuner card for use with a laptop. At the moment I am using a Hauppauge WinTV2000 card but the results (on full screen mode) are none too good. I have a S*y digibox (with full sub), but want to get rid of my (ancient) bulky TV, and just use the laptop for all my TV requirements.
Cheers for any info,
Peter In The Bus.

homerjay

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Spiderbox 9000HD, Super DARK MOTOR, 80cm Dish, SKY+ HD, HTPC w/7MC
My Location
Chorley, Lancs
at 1st i thought ya was mad, getting rid of ya telly and just using ya laptop? crazy!

but then i noticed ure on a bus....

ya can get a usb version of the skystar2, dunno how good or bad it is though?

http://www.technisat.com/

peter in the bus

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
KENT
Cheers for the reply homerjay, I often think I am mad,too !!
Yeah, space is limited on a bus, plus the fact I only have battery power, kept topped up by wind and sun, means the use of a bulky and leccy-hungry TV is not ideal - the laptop is far less juicy in that respect...
Anyway, back to the point... I already have a SS2 USB card, also a Hauppauge Terrestrial Digital USB card, and a Thompson S*y Digibox which at the moment I use with the TV cos the Hauppauge WinTV 2000 USB Tuner card I have is Cr*p!!!
I am looking to put the S*y digibox output through a TV tuner card and into the laptop, but I don't know of any decent ones that give a good picture on fullscreen.
Hope you've got all that.... it's a bit of a "techno-bus", and the laptop is all I require for viewing requirements... ( I am also waiting for a friend in the village near where I am to put up a WIFI aerial so I can get Broadband internet
access with my laptop as well !!!)
Peter In The Bus.

homerjay

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Chorley, Lancs
oh i get ya, so ya dont need a tv-card, ya just need a video in on ya laptop?

peter in the bus

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
KENT
Well, yes and no. I think to get any sort of video or TV through a computer you need to have some sort of capture card, Dont think you can just put video or TV signals straight in... or am I wrong on this?
Anyone else help me out on this ,please?
Peter in the bus

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Some video cards and Laptops do have a video in and this would be ideal. Can't remember seeing too many USB analogue TV receivers, the new crop are DTT receivers.

You could try something like this, but you need USB2 for it. http://www.lindy.com/uk/productfolder/04/42959/index.php

peter in the bus

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
KENT
mmmm, not sure you are understanding my requirements.....
I want to do away with my TV altogether and use a Laptop as a TV instead...
therefore I need a TV Tuner card that converts analogue TV signals from a coax input into digital signals to display on a computer. The links you are showing are for video capture to turn analogue video into digital to view at a later date or to turn into DVDs. There are TV tuner cards out there, ( I own a Hauppauge WINTV2000), but some are better than others in FULL SCREEN MODE. I am looking for advice on a card which gives good full screen mode live....
Peter in the bus

homerjay

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Chorley, Lancs
u sure its not u thats confused...

if on a normal pc, with video in, ya would just connect ya digibox (via 3x phono leads) to videocard / soundcard....

but coz ya'v no video in, ya need to create one...

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
peter in the bus said:
mmmm, not sure you are understanding my requirements.....
I want to do away with my TV altogether and use a Laptop as a TV instead...
therefore I need a TV Tuner card that converts analogue TV signals from a coax input into digital signals to display on a computer. The links you are showing are for video capture to turn analogue video into digital to view at a later date or to turn into DVDs. There are TV tuner cards out there, ( I own a Hauppauge WINTV2000), but some are better than others in FULL SCREEN MODE. I am looking for advice on a card which gives good full screen mode live....
Peter in the bus

You are unlikely to find anything better than the Hauppauge USB analogue terrestrial receiver, most companies are thrwoing their efforts at the digital market.

In an Ideal world you gould buy a USB Digital terrestrial receiver with phono inputs for direct connection to your digibox, but as far as I know there aren't any made, hence my suggestion above.

If you are modulating a signal to put into your TV card, then demodulating it, you are going to suffer losses along the way.