Sky Digibox - ARY ?

dockerslund26

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
uh::no
My Dad wants to watch ARY Digital.
He lives in Denmark, and apparently, if you are based in Europe and want do subscribe, you need a special digital box, which costs quite a lot. The channel can be found on Hotbird.
But but but...I've got an idea.
Dunno it it works though.
What if I buy a second hand Sky Digibox here in the UK, and subscribes to ARY Digital? ARY do also send on 28 east.
Wouldn't I be able to bring the box to Denmark?
I know that it's possible to receive a free card as well, so I can watch BBC1, BBC2, ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5. If I want this card, I have to tell them the number on the box. What if I did that, and the card would work in the UK? Wouldn't I be able to bring the box to Denmark, and then watch all the channels there?

Hope someone can help me with this one.

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
[updated:LAST EDITED ON 26-Apr-02 AT 03:44 PM (GMT)]ARY digital broadcasts in Europe as follows:

- Hotbird3 (13e) - encrypted under the relatively new and thus far uncracked Irdeto2 system. Would require a generic digital "CI" (common interface) receiver with Irdeto CI CAM, or a receiver with built-in Irdeto CAM. In both cases an official subscription card is also required.

- Astra2 (28.2e) - encrypted under Videoguard - uncracked too. Would require specifically a Sky Digital receiver (no other receiver can decrypt that particular encryption method) and an official subscription card. And yes, if you obtain such a digibox in the UK (whether new or second-hand) and arrange an ARY and/or BBC card (or indeed any other card), that will work happily in any area that falls within the footprint of the respective satellite signal. But be aware that there may be contractual stipulations in your subscription that state it should not be used outside the UK/ROI. If that is the case for ARY, then you would need to make sure the card was activated in the UK, and that once shipped abroad, you didn't seek contact with the provider from abroad. They can monitor calls and determine they are from abroad, and in principle deactivate the card.

See also http://www.arydigital.tv/

2old

dockerslund26

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
uh::no
Cheers :-ohmy)
Unbelievably...
If you subscribe to ARY in Denmark, you'll pay nearly £200 a year.
If you subscribe to ARY in the UK, it's only £100.
Guess I have to find a cheap Sky Digibox.
Any difference between them?
Any Digibox which I should stay away from?
Is £50 average price?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
£50 is about the average for the ones you probably want to avoid :)the only one I would really avoid is the old amstrad, but everyone has their favourites.

Rolf

G

groundsman

Off subject slightly but if you did happen to buy a £50 Amstrad then http://www.satcure.com could help you. They supply tuner (which is the most likely part to go(SKY claim to be sole repairers)) and online step-by-step fix-it guide.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I think you've just underlined why early Amstrads are to be avoided Groundsman. :)

Rolf