Sky Digibox Hack - honerable intentions!

dave-lew99

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sattelite FTA (Siruis/Astra) Freeview DTT, Comp: Athlon 3200+ PC and 1.4GHz Centrino Laptop
My Location
UK
Hi, i need to find a software hack for a sky digibox to allow me to use the Siruis sattelite to recieve IRN (which is FTA) as currently i have no viewing card and as so cannot get into the 'Other channels' menu.

I am NOT interested in getting normal pay channels for free this would be useless as the box will be permanantly set to recieve IRN only.

Thanks

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
What SR does it employ?

dave-lew99

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sattelite FTA (Siruis/Astra) Freeview DTT, Comp: Athlon 3200+ PC and 1.4GHz Centrino Laptop
My Location
UK
What is SR?, probably a really simly anocrym that ive missed lol

retainedstatue

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky+, Golden Interstar 8005CI, Dragon 4.1, opos 1.05
My Location
Merseyside, UK
Symbol Rate. Sky Boxes will only show channels with SR of 22000 or 27500. As far as I know there is no way around this.

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
12111 H 27500 5/6

L.:)

dave-lew99

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Oh no, you've misunderstood. The box picks up the channels fine - scans and can select to store. However as i do not have a viewing card, i cannot get into the 'other channels' section to view them - though they are stored on the box.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The card should not be necessary to get into Add Channels in the system setup menu, then other channels once you have added it. :)

dave-lew99

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Add channels is ok, theyre added

On going to other channels (as if to view) i get 'Please insert your viewing card'.....and inserting a blockbuster video card gives the error "There is a problem with your viewing card"

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Shouldn't happen, just checked on my Sky+ box and can access the channels that are FTA without the card inserted, so for some reason, the channel you are trying to view must appear to the digibox to be encrypted, have you tried with any other FTA channels?

dave-lew99

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
FTA on Astra would be fine. As these channels simply appear on the EPG. I am not pointed at astra, but instead Sirius, and so all channels have to be manually tuned in the other channels area. Please try to access other channels without your card in and see what happens

(Services > 6) (I think)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
PS. Cannot find a channel called IRN FTA on Sirius.

dave-lew99

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Siruis 2 - 4.8 Degrees EAST

Frequency 12.111GHz
Transponder 21
Symbol Rate 27500
Polarisation Horizontal
Forward Error Correction 5/6

Trust me, it's there

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Just scanned on the Dreambox and doesn't come up, could it be listed as something else?

dave-lew99

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
It's listed as IRN.

The previous Nokia Mediamaster picked it up as such as does the sky digibox. Also on that sat are ESPN and Virgin Radio (AM).

PS IRN is an audio only stream

The dish in use is 1.2m, and is located in North UK

IRN will not be listed on many (if any) websites as it is Independant Radio News - independant stations use this as their news feed, however if you dont have an IRN license they'll probably sue you for copyright (like broadcasting without a PRS license)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
OK, found it under the radio stations on the Dreambox, but will have to wait a while while I dig out the old digibox to connect up. :)

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Ooooh, you can just feeeel the tension :)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Well I'm astounded, Sky appear to have found yet another way of crippling the digibox with one of the latest updates, mine won't let me into the other channels section either.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Oooh, now thats naughty...

Even more reason to buy a dreambox - they haven't crippled THAT yet!

dave-lew99

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Ok, super budgeting time (i know, im responsible for it!)

How much is the cheapest (super cheap!) FTA sattelite reciever that supports DiSEqC switching (including tax/delivery). and where can i get it from for delivery in UK?

Unless there is a way round the sky limitation?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Well I'm really sure that whilst the EU tolerate the hobbled nature of the digibox, the new measure which disables it from receiving anything form another satellite without a subscription card inserted surely must break a major rule.

It now requires a pin number before you view the other channels if you use a subscription card, they've obviously taken the watershed rule to the nth degree.