Sky Digibox Help Urgently Needed !!!

Eugenius

Reaction score
Guys,
I have had Sky for seven years abroad, in Europe, and Sky Digital for almost four years. But my box made by Grundig is now broken, although the card works, I tried it on some other box here. My UK contacts could try to get a Sky +, but am I going to be able to use the old blue card I got last year, or do I have to get a new card? Are they going to force us to hook it up on a phone line? They tried it hard last time, but we insisted we did not want it hooked and it finally worked. Are the Sky+ requirements more severe than for the regular Sky digital? Is it really necessary to have to LNBs and two coax cables? to make it work? Please answer asap! Regards, EUGENIUS

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You can probably get the Grundig repaired for a relatively small amount of money, but if you go the Sky+ option, you may find that they require a working telephone connection. I know that some have managed to get Sky+ recording without, but I believe that they have tightened up.

Eugenius

Reaction score
Unfortunately, in this country nobody can repair it, although they sell new Sky boxes together with pirated cards for -- believe it or not -- 1,000 dollars.

I could buy a used Sky digibox (not Sky +) on E-bay, but do you guys recommend it? I could then have it shipped to my contact's address in London, unless the seller can send it to the continent.
The problem is, would my current card work in a used, second hand box? Could I pair it with a used box? Please let me know! Eugenius

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Your card will work in any Sky Digibox, but only on non-premium channels, for example Movies, Sport and ITV2 won't work, all of the others should be fine, even without pairing.

Eugenius

Reaction score
Well, I have been paying for the premium channels, and that's why I want Sky in the first place -- for the movies. If it won't work in a different box, then why pay 35 pound-per-month susbcription. Maybe I can activate my card in the newly acquired box?

Leee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ v2 (120Gb); DM7020Si*motorised; PC/S2-3200
My Location
47°N/8°E/490m
Sky+ is fine outside the UK.

You can call and have your card switched over but you need to SUPPRESS your number and you need to know all of your account details.

I do assume you have a UK address through which you're subbing?
Are you planning a visit soon to the UK? ;)

You need at least a twin LNB and you do need to connect the two cables - otherwise you're not going to get the best out of it. If you have a regular dish, the LNB should not be a problem.

Eugenius

Reaction score
Leee, I gather you are talking about the Sky+? So if it does not need ro be hooked up to a phone line as a technical requirement, then can the Sky people force you to hook it up so that they can control if you are inside the UK?
Are all the other things -- such as twin LNBs and probably a different dish -- available on the continent, or must they be acquired from Sky, too?
How can I get a Sky + box? Are they available on the market?

t.m

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2 metre dish
Amstrad dx90 sky+ h.d box
My Location
stockholm
lee where are ya mate have sky plus here in stockholm no prob to get switched over to sky + read my reply on sky + systems on help needed sky + activation abroad

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Eugenius said:
so that they can control if you are inside the UK?

They can only dial in they cannot really control the box.

Are all the other things -- such as twin LNBs and probably a different dish -- available on the continent, or must they be acquired from Sky, too?

The LNB has two outputs and are freely available all over Europe.

How can I get a Sky + box? Are they available on the market?

You can buy these from many sources in the UK - check WhotSat Mag or do an Internet search

Leee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ v2 (120Gb); DM7020Si*motorised; PC/S2-3200
My Location
47°N/8°E/490m
I have Sky+ outside the shores of the Island. Activated without phone line within the shores of course, this seemed to me to be the lowest risk method of moving forwards with my "upgrade".

I could never go back. The wife would divorce me (perhaps I should remember that just in case ;))

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Eugenius said:
Well, I have been paying for the premium channels, and that's why I want Sky in the first place -- for the movies. If it won't work in a different box, then why pay 35 pound-per-month susbcription. Maybe I can activate my card in the newly acquired box?

Wasn't suggesting that you do that, just answering your question, of course you would want to see all of the channels you pay for. :)

What I would add though, is that Sky constantly update their operation and what was possible a few months back, may not now be allowed. So whilst there are members here who managed to get their Sky+ box activated without a phone connection, this doesn't guarantee that it is possible now.

devonbrown

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
4 systems. In Scotland Freesat with Humax Foxsat recorder. In Algarve 1.5 fixed Inv Quad LNB with 3 Pace 2600C1 and 1 Amstrad HD DRX780UK also 80cm dish with Inverto 0.2db monoblock LNB (19.2E/26E) feeding Technomate 5000CI+ usb.
My Location
Scotlandl and Algarve
I have read this thread with a small bit of alarm )(-red I have just purchased a sky+ box with the intention of using it for the free channels only. I get the funny feeling from reading this thread that I may have to get sky+ seperately activated. Am I reading this correctly?

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
Satlook nit colour + Horizon hdsm.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
devonbrown said:
I have read this thread with a small bit of alarm )(-red I have just purchased a sky+ box with the intention of using it for the free channels only. I get the funny feeling from reading this thread that I may have to get sky+ seperately activated. Am I reading this correctly?
If you put an activated card in the sky+ box,the free channels will work,but you cannot record and only one tuner will work.you can register the crd to the box but only on subscription,and you will have to subscribe to films or sports or you will be charged 10 pounds extra per month unless the rules have changed.
please correct me if I am mistaken. :)

Eugenius

Reaction score
Guys, illuminate me: if I get a Sky+ box, will I have to activate the old Sky Digital card I am using now, or will I have to wait for a separate, special card? Thanks!

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
They will update your present card, providing that it is of the current type.

Eugenius

Reaction score
rolfw said:
They will update your present card, providing that it is of the current type.
Thanks, Rolf. I got the card last year, I think. What color is the current type?

Now, guys, I have already found Sky+ boxes at simplydigital.co.uk, a 40 gig PACE for 150 quid without LNB or 180 quid with a quad LNB included. I don't know what that is, so tell me, which box I should go for, provided that I am going to use it in the Czech Republic? with or without quad LNB?
They also ship the stuff here, I hope I won't have troubles with the customs?

Eugenius

Reaction score
My card is deep blue with a yellow house. Is it the latest model?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
You need a second cable feed, so either a quad or twin is required.