Sky Digital and the BBC

IAN ROBINSON

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
ashton under lyne, lancashire
We sell Sky digiboxes all over Europe and are eagerly awaiting the resolution of whether or not the BBC is going to stay on the southern satellites.

I have been told told by one of my English dealers in Greece that he had rang Sky and told them that he had a Sky Contract in the UK and that he took his box to Greece with him to watch Sky TV.

The answer was very interesting. He was told that if he had Sky contract that he would still get the BBC content after May the 29th. If he did not have a Sky contract he would not be able to watch BBC on the same size dish as he now uses.

We have followed this up by phoning ourselves quite a few times and the Telephone operatives and Supervisors we have asked are quite strongly of the opinion that this is the case.

Seven out of Eight said yes to the BBC still being on 2a and 2b after May 29th

The other one ( Who was very knowledgable ) said that the BBC and Sky are in talks at a very high level but it was looking highly likely that the BBC will remain on Astra 2a and b.

Does anyone have any knowledge of this?

Maxi 1

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Sweden
I PHONED AND ASKED ALSO IF SKY WILL STILL BE AVAILABLE ON THE CURRENT TRNSPONDERS AFTER THE END OF MAY. I ALSO ASKED WAS ASTRA 2D AN EXTRA TRANSPONDER TO THE CURRENT 2A AND 2C AND THE NICE LADY IN SKY SAID YES!!!

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Unfortunately, all that this probably serves to prove, is that seven out of eight sky customer service operatives do not really know very much outside of what is written on their prompt screens. What's more, it is probably better for Sky that they don't

IAN ROBINSON

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
ashton under lyne, lancashire
Thanks Rolfw

Five out of the Seven actually put me on hold while they spoke to supervisors, but you may be right.

Thank you Maxi1

Is there anyone else out there wants to Ring Sky regarding this?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I'm not convinced that anyone below director level will know what the true situation is, but the company line from Sky is obviously that everything will stay as is, indeed it may well yet do so.

BBC may well end up on the same satellite and Sky may well dramatically reduce their encryption management charges, could prove to be a clever move by the BBC, all of this bluff and counter bluff is getting interesting. :)