Sky Digital + Astra 19.2E + Quad LNB

lowdown

Reaction score
My Location
SW London
Hi,

Is it possible to receive Sky Digital and Astra 19.2E using the same dish? If so if I install a quad LNB does it mean all 4 of them can receive all channels from these 2 satellites?

Many thanks

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You can use one dish, but will need two LNBs and an offset bracket, what receiver/receivers do you have?

lowdown

Reaction score
My Location
SW London
The only equipment that I currently have is a XSAT 410 left over from my last house.

I am planning a renovation to my new house and therefore has the opportunity to carry out a brand new install.

Any suggestions as to the dish, LNBs, receivers and configuration?

Thanks in advance

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Why not go for something like a Raven 90cm Gemini dish with an offset bracket to receive Astra 28.2, 19.2 and Hotbird 13E, a DiseqC 4 way switch and you have a nice selection of channels. Othersie a compact DiseqC motor solution with a 90cm dish, gets you even more. :)

lowdown

Reaction score
My Location
SW London
May I ask how the quad-LNB, offset bracket and 4-way switch work together?

I am assuming that the above combination allows each of the 4 LNB outputs to receive all available channels from the above satellite groups.

If this is the case what is the most appropriate receiver(s) for each room?

Simba27

Panthera leo massaieus
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Comag SL55 receiver. Lidl 0.6 LNB. Lidl 80cm dish. Metronic DiSEqC motor. Phillips Freeview box. JVC SVHS Video .Targa 160GB HDD/DVD recorder. 3 x UHF modulators. 6-way Booster/Splitter.
My Location
Uxbridge UK
With a fixed dish, you need a separate LNB for each satellite - the three signals hit the dish from different angles, bounce off in different directions and are captured by the LNB's, carefully positioned along the offset arm.

Each LNB will need an output for each receiver. You also need a diseqc switch for each receiver - to select which LNB is connected to the receiver at any given time.

Here's an example: Suppose you have two decoders and you want to receive three satellites. You need 3, twin-output LNBs and 2 (3 way or more) diseqc switches. You connect output "A" of each LNB to switch "A" and connect that to receiver "A". Then you connect output "B" of each LNB to switch "B" and connect that to receiver "B".

If you have four receivers, you would need 3, quad output LNBs and 4 diseqc switches.

To capture the maximum signal, your dish needs to be directly facing the satellite, obviously this is not possible if you are trying to receive 3 satellites on a fixed dish.

Better solutions would be either a separate fixed dish for each satellite, or a separate motorised dish for each receiver. But planning bylaws typically limit you to one dish, less than 1m diameter.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Sorry lowdown, read your posts again and see that you intend 4 receivers, wasn't 100% clear from your original post. As Simba27 says, you will need as many DiseqC switches as receivers and either Twin, Quad or Octo LNBs on each satellite. From SW London, a 70cm Raven Gemini or Viasat Bisat with additional sat bracket setup would do the trick.

lowdown

Reaction score
My Location
SW London
Thanks for all the replies -- I would not have figured it out myself.