Sky digital connecting new box to minidish and test chanells?

N00b

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky digital box and minidish,
Hello, i was wondering if it was possible to recive sky test chanells such as the sky one test and mtv test, on a non digibox, and I need a recommendation for a box with 2 card slots, that will conecct to a sky minidish but without a extra subscription.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Some test channels you can receive initially, but some not. I presume that you are speaking of card sharing on the second box, but unless you have a couple of Dreamboxes, this is not possible.

N00b

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
rolfw said:
Some test channels you can receive initially, but some not. I presume that you are speaking of card sharing on the second box, but unless you have a couple of Dreamboxes, this is not possible.

Im trying to use say (Just an example) a fortec star reciver with 2 card slots on the front, and connect the coaxial to the minidish, i presume it would give me a sateallite connection, but would I need a sky digi box and card to decrypt test such as MTV test and sky one test?
And also what size dish would I need to connect to direcTV 5? at 72.0 degrees west? i presume as its another one of murdochs empires, we could use a digibox to connect?
am I right?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
N00b said:
Im trying to use say (Just an example) a fortec star reciver with 2 card slots on the front, and connect the coaxial to the minidish, i presume it would give me a sateallite connection, but would I need a sky digi box and card to decrypt test such as MTV test and sky one test?
And also what size dish would I need to connect to direcTV 5? at 72.0 degrees west? i presume as its another one of murdochs empires, we could use a digibox to connect?
am I right?

If you are in the UK you can forget 72W - it will be below your western horizon.

Geneerally speaking you need a digibox to decrypt any encoded test channels. (*) Theres a handful of fta test, but they arent very exciting most of the time.

(*) = If you have a Dragon cam you can put it in your fortec to get Sky channels BUT you need a valid subscription card, and you get the channels appropriate to your subscription - no freebies.

N00b

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
So i need a digibox to connect to theese test chanells but will I need a subscription to veiw theese test services? could you connect to that sat with a 4M dish?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If you are in the British Isles, Ireland?, then a 4m antenna would be a tad of overkill for Sky Digital and you would still struggle to even get a line of sight to the 72W satellite, the other part of your question was dealt with by Analoguesat.

PS. If you fill out the location section in your profile, it would make life easier.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
N00b said:
So i need a digibox to connect to theese test chanells but will I need a subscription to veiw theese test services? could you connect to that sat with a 4M dish?

Only if you drill a ruddy great hole through the earth. ;)

You need a valid subs to get pay Sky channels. And if a Sky Sports test appears only folks with sports channels on thier subs can see it. Family Pack subscribers dont get it. There arent any freebies with SKy UK.

N00b

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
oh well so I have to pay to get theese chanells even though they are tests?
what a shame.