Sky Digital Faulty - Uses your phone bill

Z

Zinkle

Hi I work for BT got this memo out for people ringing up to complain this week:

"Some customers are receiving bills with multiple calls to 123, the Customer Service Investigator (CSI) have found that during tests, telling the customer to unplug there sky box resolves this problem

We have brought up this issue with sky who are currently looking into it"

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, heard about this one Zinkle, its obviously more than just a couple of cases now, hence the memo.

Rolf

froggs

Reaction score
Website
www.froggsltd.com
My Location
Rotherham
I work for sky digital, and have visited many customer's now with the same fault, the digibox keeps using the phone line and they have recieved a huge bill from bt, the reason being, there was an add in on the internet posted by some daft lad stating, put 123 in the telephone prefix menu on the digibox setup, saying if you do that you would get sky box office without paying, this is not true, all that happens is , you will reach your credit limit and will then have to ring sky, who will ask you to connected your stb to the phone line to enable a call back to empty the memory, but the box is already connected but can not connect to sky because it is interupted by the talking clock, so yes, you won't get a bill from sky, but you will from bt, the digibox is programmed to repeatadly keep trying to connect to sky to empty it's memory if it contains any ppv movies which you have watch, it's a simple case of reseting the phone prefix on the digibox's setup menu, this will solve everything apart from who is going to pay for the bill. after a long debate with a customer , he finailly admitted that he had saw it on the internet and he would get his box office films for free,

froggs

Reaction score
Website
www.froggsltd.com
My Location
Rotherham
to simplyfie the answer, customers think they will get box office for free if they enter the 123 digits in the digibox's telephone prefix menu, so when the digibox recieves the signal from sky to fone home all it does is phone 123 ( the talking clock ), and it will keep calling the talking clock until it empty's the memory

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Hmmm, that would certainly explain a lot Froggs and of course the people are not going to admit what they've done ;)

Rolf