sky digital in france

the crazy 1

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
hi all

please could you help with my problem
if i recieve sky through my digibox in france can i view the image through a french tv without interferience

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, providing it has PAL G (most of them do) and you are using a scart lead.

the crazy 1

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
thanks for the quick response

could someone also tell me i am going to get an 88 cm dish to hook up to my digibox but can i recieve french satellite as well as the british and am i right in thinking that i cn take my ftv card with me
many thanks

p.s the site is really good

easysat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S + motorised 80cm dish, Amstrad DRX550 Digibox + fixed dish
My Location
pj::
You really need to point your dish at a different satellite if you want to watch French TV. However your Sky Digibox will allow you watch Euronews and Motors TV with a French soundtrack if you choose French as your preferred language in the system set-up.

There are relatively few French channels which are free-to-air on digital satellite, see www.lyngsat.com for details. You can watch some of these with your Digibox if the symbol rate is 22000 or 27500 symbols/s. However the Digibox isn't capable of driving a motor nor switching between dishes so you would need some other means to do this. In any case it's a bit of a pain to use the "add channels" and "other channels" functions on the Digibox.

A better bet than using the Digibox is a cheap free-to-air digital receiver (about 100 euros when the hypermarkets run a special offer). However it may be more future-proof to buy a digital receiver with a "common interface" (170 euros and upwards) so that you can add a decryption module later.

The French terrestrial channels are all available in analogue on Atlantic Bird 3 at 5°W. You can buy a cheap analogue satellite receiver, dish and LNB for about 60 euros in the DIY sheds like Castorama or Leroy Merlin.

the crazy 1

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
does anyone out there live or know anyone who lives in or around le lac des reves haven site in montpellier
i need to get some advice on fitting a satellite dish lots of people on the site have sky and i am taking my box over in a few weeks and need someone to fit the dish
thanks hope you can help)(-)(

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If people have their own dishes at the site, the chances are that quite a few of them will have fitted their own and will probably help with yours. It is not very difficult to install a satellite dish, particularly when you are pointing at a satellite with a very strong signal, you might want to consider buying a 60cm dish and a cheap satfinder meter over here and having a few dry runs with it whilst over here, it will save you money.

If you are considering a French installer, be prepared for a large bill.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
I do remeber somebody saying that TV5 was now on 28East, but I do not know whether its free to air or minimum subscription

You would also receive Fashion TV which is mainly in French

easysat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S + motorised 80cm dish, Amstrad DRX550 Digibox + fixed dish
My Location
pj::
Fashion TV might be French but I didn't include it because it is just endless catwalks with little spoken content. But I suppose you could count it as a good introduction to part of French culture, if you know what I mean ;-) . The FTV card doesn't include TV5, you have to have one of the Sky subscriptions.

I hope the administrator forgives me for wandering away from Sky, but I forgot to say that you will need a TV that decodes the French colour system (SECAM) for the French analogue satellite channels. Many modern TV's will do this, at least if you connect your satellite receiver to the SCART socket. Also rumour has it that TF1 will soon start encrypting some of their broadcasts from Atlantic Bird 3 because of copyright concerns for things like football matches.

the crazy 1

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
great thanks for the offer not sure when im there but will have ago tell me did you take an english tv with you or did you get a french one down there also how do you get round the telephone line having to be conneted
sorry me still learning but having fun

methos_de

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace Ver.3 SKY+ box
1,20m Dish
Quad Invacom 0, 3db LNB

P4 3,4 ghz
1024mb RAM
Geforce 256mb 6800 Ultra
My Location
Sunny old Bristol
@the crazy 1 if you've got a TV thats got an RGB input it doesnt matter whether its an english one or not. You just have to set the picture setting on your digibox to RGB and it'll work fine.

Methos.

the crazy 1

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
hi

forgive me for being a bit dense

i was reading the thread on 2d and also looked at ses astra
about footprints from what i can make out i would need a 125 cm dish in montpellier to view anything on that satellite i know that is bbc. is this correct or am i wrong

thanks

i currently have a 60 cm minidish

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
You may still pick it up with a 60cm, but a 90cm (from the look of it) should suffice.

H

haveagoade

Crazy1
Let me know how you get on with your setup and is a 60cm sufficient for 2d reception in Montpellier??

H

haveagoade

I think my report on sky reception in Montpellier France has been lifted and inserted into the reception reports page.

Firstly at the time of the report I was unaware of the 2d reception issue, and it therefore reflects the recetion of BBC and other FTA via 2A at that time.
Secondly I hate Itv so the fact that it might not have been available because it was on 2D would not have registered with me.

So the report can only be used reliably with respect to 2A 2B N/S beam.
I'll be there from June 21 and will report back my results with a 60cm and 80cm dish, hopefully one of these will do the trick or I'll have to buy a bigger dish there.:confused
:)

Shahid

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sony KLV26HG2 LCD TV, Humax HD-CI 2000 on a Fixed Sky/Astra/Hotbird.
Cerebro Card. Infinity USB Phonix. Dragon Cam v4.1 w/Firecrypt & Loader Card.
My Location
London UK
What is the minimum dish size needed to view all the tranponders channels of skydigital from Pais FRANCE. I have gave a 2nd hand digibox to my cousin who lives there and he needs help on the minimum dish size.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
I've installed a standard Sky minidish in Versailles and it works fine.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
I can't find anywhere called Pais in France. Do you mean Paix or Paissy or perhaps even Paris?

As a rough guide a standard minidish for the north west of the country, 60cm for a belt across the centre, 80cm for places below that and to the east. You might need 90cm for the far south east and certainly Corsica.

Having said that I use a region 2 minidish near Orange 84. Signal does disappear in light to moderate rain however. Friends nearby have no such problems with an 80cm dish.

PaulR

the crazy 1

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
i installed a standard 66cm dish in montpellier in the south of france and recieved all sky channels with no problems. finding the satellite was so easy i have had more problems in england than in france

sue-martin

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky digital windows xp
My Location
nimes France
can you help me I have a house just the other side of Nimes in a village called Poulx we have a French satellite dish. We have an Amastram box and I have a current Sky card. We can get the Sky menu up but we are unable to get a signal. In spite of trying every conceivable direction. Do we need a diff dish or diff scarp cables ? I have purchased a signal meter for our next visit which is in November. Any tips would be so appreciated. Frustrated Sue