Sky Digital In Switzerland

G

Guji

hi does anyone know how I can recive Sky digital in switzerland. I know my equipment will work there but the card will not and Sky have said they can not issue a card for use in Switzerland is there digital provider in switzerland ?

Any ideas

Regards

Guji

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Hi Guji,

You should find most of the information you need on the comprehensive link provided by Dockerslund, we have more than a few forum members who watch from Switzerland and Germany , so if you should experience difficulty setting things up post again.

Rolf

G

Guji

Hi Dockerlund / Rolf

First thanks for the tips.

I was wondering I have sky digi in the UK and had subcribed to the complete package £34. So can I not just bring that box over and my card. would this not work as I have had my box for over 12 months so it can be disconnected from the the phone line. Better still what If I just bring the box over and just buy a dish here in Switzerland as a biogger dish should give a stronger singnal ...Any thoughts ?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, that would work perfectly Guji, and the bigger the dish the more stable the signal.

Rolf

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
Dear All,

Additionally, if you haven't already, don't forget to check out Zansi's "DISH SIZE SURVEY" thread in the SKY DIGITAL forum.

You'll be surprised who CAN get sky in europe :-)

Have Fun,

Mark.

G

Guji

Hi all

Ok so I think thats what I will do. Buy a bigger dish hear in Switzerland and bring my digi box over from UK. The only thing i am not to sure about is in UK when you want to watch say a box office movie or if there is Big fight on you just hit select on the remote and, there you go you have just ordered what you want to see. But my understanding is this order goes via your phone line. Now how, or can it work in Switzerland as the phone number and and line will be completely different. Or is it that you can not order such events or it has to be done manualy by calling SKY

Thanks

Regards

Guji

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
There are a few threads on this question Guji, the essence is that the box would normally make it's own phone call, but if it is not connected to the phone, you will have to make the call.

It is possible to ring from abroad as several people have tried it, but it is not recommended, best to get someone to ring from the UK. I'm not sure how a UK mobile would register if you used it to phone from abroad though.

Rolf

G

Guji

Hi Rolf

My uk Mobile shows up as "UNKOWN" when ever i call but not sure if sky have a system where they can view all calling numbers no matter where there from

Just wondering Rolf, I mean the main reason I want Sky digi is coy I love Formula 1 and want be able to view the new PPV channel that sky are showing. I found and read some threads regarding this matter and waiting on a reply from a post i posted. Just wondering if you have any info on this matter

Thanks
Guji

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, I've posted an answer under the other thread, but the answer is to get friends or family in the UK to ring up and book for you.

Rolf

G

Guji

Hi Rolf

Sorry to keep bothering you
So what would you recomend that that i do what i first said and bring my box over hear and whenever needs be get friends and family to phone up for me. Or should I buy one of these Seca or Humax systems

If so who would be my broadcaster and can I obtain a viewing card
The thing is i have never actualy installed a sat sytem myself so not sure if it really is hard or not and i live ina appartment on 2nd floor so maybne i need more height for the dish

Once again thanks very much for all youre help i really appreciate it

Thanks
Guji

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
First things first Guji, if you live in a second floor apartment, is there a site for the dish? it needs to face SSE and have a clear view in that direction.

It is not rocket science to instal a dish, but a difficult location can make the job a chore, so you may wish to use a local installer.

Whichever package you go for is entirely down to you, the Sky route will work if you are able to organise the phonecalls. The analogue route is easy to organise, but relies on RTL continuing to show the GPs. It shouldn't be difficult to get the relevent setup for Canal Digital or Premier World in Switzerland, you may even get a subsidised installation.

Rolf

G

Guji

Hi
Ok facing the the dish SSE with clear air is not a problem, The problem i think is the living room is at the front of the apartment and SSE is the back part of my apartment I don`t see a probelm just the lenth of the cable.

So the companies you mentioned do they have the ability to broadcast sky channels or is this JUST for the GP PPV and do u know this is in English ?

Also I am not to sure now weather to bring my box over i checked the prices of some systems hear in Switzerland and you can get a digi decoder and motorised dish for 600 Swiss Franc which = abot £250 now i don`t know the prices of motorised dishes in UK but £250 for a motorised dish does not sound bad. Do you know of any makes to totaly avoid just in case this price relates to a make you just don`t want to buy

Thanks
Guji

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Dish systems are generally slightly cheaper in mainland Europe so best to organise that there. The packages with F1 on will not be in English, but maybe with use of yout digibox radio channels you can get a workable package together. You can only get the Sky programmes with the Sky digibox.

The length of the cables can be less of a problem if a good size dish is used, this will counter the signal loss caused by the cable run.

Rolf

methos_de

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace Ver.3 SKY+ box
1,20m Dish
Quad Invacom 0, 3db LNB

P4 3,4 ghz
1024mb RAM
Geforce 256mb 6800 Ultra
My Location
Sunny old Bristol
Hi Guji, Premiere World is perhaps not a bad option if you really are only interested in sports. PW shows live premier league and all champions league games in german and the language of the teams playing. the formula 1 is live with no adverts, but I'm not sure if its also in english. I'll have a look when i'm at home.
The total package costs 40€ or so. I'll have to check up on that too.
Methos.